gpa and A+'s

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pdiddy89
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:14 pm

gpa and A+'s

Postby pdiddy89 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 am

I know the LSAC counts a A+ as a 4.3, but my school (uchicago) does not award A+'s. A is the highest grade given. Do law schools do anything to account for this in the application process?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby GeePee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:18 am

pdiddy89 wrote:I know the LSAC counts a A+ as a 4.3, but my school (uchicago) does not award A+'s. A is the highest grade given. Do law schools do anything to account for this in the application process?

Nope, sorry. Suck it up.

calkel
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby calkel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 am

GeePee wrote:
pdiddy89 wrote:I know the LSAC counts a A+ as a 4.3, but my school (uchicago) does not award A+'s. A is the highest grade given. Do law schools do anything to account for this in the application process?

Nope, suck it

ftfy

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:24 am

A+ = 4.33. In any case, your answer is no.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 am

Check out the uchicago undergrad thread circulating around. Unfortunately, these uncouth people above me may be correct, but if I were hiring on campus at a law school I would definitely be looking at where that person went to undergrad. U of C gets a boost at OCI in my book... :wink:

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby jerzgrl630 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 am

This is completely anecdotal but my UG eliminated A+s just in time for my first semester Freshman year. In one of my classes, one girl was especially pissed over this. She failed out by October...

Frankly though, it's very frustrating that some schools give A+s and others don't and there's no way to level that playing field. But such is life. We just have to suck it up.

User avatar
Iuvo
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:38 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Iuvo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

The general consensus is that people that get A+'s didn't go to real schools.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Yea wtf, I have never even heard of a college giving A+'s. Do you get to choose between a rainbow and star sticker as well?

User avatar
agentzer0
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Yea wtf, I have never even heard of a college giving A+'s. Do you get to choose between a rainbow and star sticker as well?



A good friend of mine has like a 4.2 Undergraduate GPA because of this A+ bullshit.

No rainbow or star sticker, but you do get to go to HLS.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Kretzy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Iuvo wrote:The general consensus is that people that get A+'s didn't go to real schools.


Tell that to Stanford undergrads.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:17 pm

..

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:19 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Iuvo wrote:The general consensus is that people that get A+'s didn't go to real schools.

TITCR.


I wonder whats the highest ranked undergrad that gives out A+. I know UCLA does.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Kretzy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:26 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Iuvo wrote:The general consensus is that people that get A+'s didn't go to real schools.

TITCR.


I wonder whats the highest ranked undergrad that gives out A+. I know UCLA does.


Stanford.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Kretzy wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Iuvo wrote:The general consensus is that people that get A+'s didn't go to real schools.

TITCR.


I wonder whats the highest ranked undergrad that gives out A+. I know UCLA does.


Stanford.


What a pathetic TTT.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Berkeley also gives out A+'s.. but anyway, there are a lot more inequalities to be worried about than A+'s.. some schools only have flat A-F scale with no +/-. In these schools a 90 is an A while at other schools that same 90 is an A-. Some schools have + but no -. Some highly ranked school have graduating classes where the average gpa is 3.6. My SOs sister just graduated from a school with nearly a 3.7 and didnt even get cum laude. So moral of the story is you all need to stop your bitching.

User avatar
Iuvo
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:38 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Iuvo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:48 pm

BREAKING NEWS: THE ABA IS A WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT.

More at 11.

completing
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby completing » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 am

I don't know why you people think it's unfair to give out A+'s?

Unless you have 4.0 GPA and scored near 100% on all of your undergrad exams, there's no reason for you to complain about.

You're not going to get A+'s just because some schools give out A+'s.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 am

completing wrote:I don't know why you people think it's unfair to give out A+'s?

Unless you have 4.0 GPA and scored near 100% on all of your undergrad exams, there's no reason for you to complain about.

You're not going to get A+'s just because some schools give out A+'s.


TITCR. A+ are typically given to the top 1-2% of large classes, or the top 1-2 students in small classes.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:16 am

I'm not complaining because i've had some of the easiest classes in the history of the world at my school to boost my gpa. It's sad really that our athletes needed to cheat to pass them still . . .

User avatar
Iuvo
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:38 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Iuvo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:41 am

completing wrote:I don't know why you people think it's unfair to give out A+'s?

Unless you have 4.0 GPA and scored near 100% on all of your undergrad exams, there's no reason for you to complain about.

You're not going to get A+'s just because some schools give out A+'s.

It's unfair because it is something that's inaccessible to most people. It's not a level playing field. A 0.33 extra GPA boost per grade is a big deal.

Derrex
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 am

Re: gpa and A+'s

Postby Derrex » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:58 am

I think Princeton also gives A+s or at least it exists in their registrar. Its really a pointless debate because there are so many other factors that go into gpa like difficulty of major, grade inflation, etc. I'd also hazard to guess that most schools do give A+'s (assuming +/- system).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], m052310, Monday and 6 guests