TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MC Southstar

Silver

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
CE2JD wrote:We need an anonymous feature to discuss our grades in the Forum for Law Students.
Not a student yet, but +1.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 pm

paratactical wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:I've really enjoyed the Legal Employment forum, and I think it would be helpful if TLS added some articles about the job search process and so forth. I'm not sure if firm profiles are necessary, since most of us will just use NALP, but articles on how to get summer jobs as a 1L/2L or how to do well in OCI would be useful for current students. In that vein, it would also be useful if there were sample resumes and cover letters posted somewhere on the site, similar to the diversity statements posted currently.
I like the Legal Employment forum, but I think the Anonymous post feature is getting abused.
+1... though I'm not sure how it could really be monitored more effectively.
CE2JD wrote:We need an anonymous feature to discuss our grades in the Forum for Law Students.
+1. I haven't gotten grades yet, but would love to get advice on how to improve when I receive them. Unfortunately, too many people from my school know my username on here, so I can't post them without looking like a complete jerk.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:56 pm

+1

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Paix wrote:An organized way for addressing questions about specific test questions. I think a forum dedicated just to that would quickly become a way to find great explanations to virtually every question.

For example, have a forum dedicated to
"LSAT Question Solutions"
Have a folder for each PT

Makes it wonderfully easy to benefit from the explanations of others without having to create a new thread about the same question again and again.
LSAC would most likely request that to be torn down. copyright etc

HAMBONE

New

Post by HAMBONE » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

ughOSU wrote:I think incorporating more realistic employment expectations into the school profiles would be useful. I haven't looked at the profiles in a couple months, but when I did they had really rosy views of the legal market. In contrast, we also have the forums. Giving a rundown of employment data over the previous few years could help a lot of people who don't have the patience to constantly check forums. IMO, the TLS forums (sadly) have some of the best information out there on the state of the legal market currently, and I think some of this information could help out more casual users.

I think at some point an idea was thrown around on the forums that TLS should try to pressure schools for better and more honest employment data on the most recent law school class and OCI. Perhaps giving employment data for a few years back in the profiles, and not only on the forums would help increase TLS's influence over the schools?
+1

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:56 pm

I would like for Ken, along with all of the moderators, to take a more proactive stance against the posts of racism, anti-semitism, homophobia and the T14 or bust snobbery so often found on our forum and individual threads.

Maybe an occasional, sincere post from Ken urging TLS posters to be more respectful or considerate of people from different backgrounds, lifestyles and ambitions would be a strong step in the correct direction towards TLS mobility and unity. That would set a precedent, especially because of his status amongst TLSers.

The moderators should also be held accountable for their responsibility to moderate and encourage robust yet respectful dialogue as opposed to egging on particular posters while shunning and mocking others, as a few moderators have done.

I hope this helps!

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:57 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote: the T14 or bust snobbery so often found on our forum and individual threads.

not gonna happen, bud

but otherwise, +1

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:58 pm

I would love to see historical rankings for the past 3 or 4 years in side by side columns next to the 2011 ranking on this page: http://top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

It is very hard to find the rankings of years past online, and it's very helpful to see whether a school has been trending up or down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm not super techie but is there anyway to have a spell check option when posting?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
angiej wrote:I'm not super techie but is there anyway to have a spell check option when posting?
Download Firefox. It will give you the red squiggles in any 'net window where you've got errors in a typeable field.
Thanks, but unfortunatley our IT guy at work forbids it - and (ssssh) that's where I do most of my TLS posting. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:I would like for Ken, along with all of the moderators, to take a more proactive stance against the posts of racism, anti-semitism, homophobia and the T14 or bust snobbery so often found on our forum and individual threads.
Maybe you should go find a bubble to live in. Or learn how to, you know, ignore people.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about being able to look at users' previous posts. It seems to breed stalkers.

Also, ratings for individual posts which correspond with a simple aggregate user rating would probably be cool.
You're worried about stalkers on an anonymous internet forum? Trust me, you're not that hot.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:I would like for Ken, along with all of the moderators, to take a more proactive stance against the posts of racism, anti-semitism, homophobia and the T14 or bust snobbery so often found on our forum and individual threads.
Maybe you should go find a bubble to live in. Or learn how to, you know, ignore people.
Helmholtz, just because injustice and discrimination exists and will most likely never completely go away, it doesn't mean that there is no point or value in denouncing its evil, which is all that requested to be considered to be done. The fact that you're a moderator and think like this, and would respond in this fashion, is, indeed, disappointing, ignorant and worrying. I can only hope that Ken doesn't share the same sentiment as you do.

Something to wonder, are there any URM moderators?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Bigger PM inbox.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote: Something to wonder, are there any URM moderators?
There is at least one, yes.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

who? i'd like to know all of them, if possible.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Helmholtz, just because injustice and discrimination exists and will most likely never completely go away, it doesn't mean that there is no point or value in denouncing its evil, which is all that requested to be considered to be done. The fact that you're a moderator and think like this, and would respond in this fashion, is, indeed, disappointing, ignorant and worrying. I can only hope that Ken doesn't share the same sentiment as you do.

Dude, the community does a decent job of policing itself. If one of every 20 threads was blatantly racist (or homophobic, etc... ) I'd be tempted to agree with you. That's not the case.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 pm

ntzsch wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

you sound like the most revolutionary guy in the coffee shop.
not so much a revolutionary as much as a person with common sense and is respectful of diversity and people's backgrounds. if I'm a revolutionary, then this country is due for change.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Dude, the community does a decent job of policing itself. If one of every 20 threads was blatantly racist (or homophobic, etc... ) I'd be tempted to agree with you. That's not the case.
how about every 20 threads, there's a new one titled, "URM performance in LS" or "shouldn't GPA be the most important factor?" or "90% of blacks have lived off food stamps", all of which have undertones of prejudice and, dare i say, racism, especially from the posters who created them. why it's not in your face titled "deleted" there are more than a fair share of instances of posters race-baiting. and that's a fact.

it would be one thing if these posters had genuinely intended to discuss issues at the heart of the matter but when certain individuals (ie-MTal) make derogatory remarks and the initial poster tends to make even more race-baiting comments, one has the question the validity of the poster's "reason".

anyone who denies that race-baiting and covert racism exists on TLS at a fairly alarming rate is really out of touch.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Better newbies. This batch was kind of lame.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

who? i'd like to know all of them, if possible.
Most of our moderators do not go to T14 law school, some are LGBT and/or URM, they've come from a diverse set of backgrounds, and make up a pretty good spectrum of law school students' age range. The problem is not with the moderators, dude.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 pm

rayiner wrote:Better newbies. This batch was kind of lame.
+1

Better trolls and more epic threads as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”