Anybody heard from Utah? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reebtoor

Bronze

Re: Anybody heard from Utah?

Post by reebtoor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Same situation here. Looks like they didn't send out decisions until mid-january last year, though.

http://utah.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... order=desc

Good luck.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 am

Same for me too. I read on their somewhere on their website that they don't start reviewing applications until January. I was hoping to hear back before Christmas, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.

antler

New

Post by antler » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Status checker updated today: "Application is in Review."

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:19 pm

antler wrote:Status checker updated today: "Application is in Review."
Me too. Hope they are quick about it!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:50 pm

my date changed. under review 1/14 to under review 1/21

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm

School? wrote:
usuaggie wrote:my date changed. under review 1/14 to under review 1/21
Mine did as well.... Maybe that means a decision? Oh and i agree with your shirt... BYU does suck.

TITCR

and i hope it means decision, but i am nervous. i prob wont get in.

p.s. that is not me, or my shirt. i am much better looking than ken jennings (but not as attractive, since i am a poor student, not a rich jeopardy nerd)

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm

School? wrote:So my status has said "Application under review" for about 2 weeks.... but the date has changed three times....the most recent date change was yesterday. Anybody else? Im going crazy trying to figure out what it means... I hope its positive.

same. in state with 3.32 159 if that helps

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Status still says ""Complete 12/30/09" :x I hate waiting :shock:

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:53 pm

School? wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
School? wrote:So my status has said "Application under review" for about 2 weeks.... but the date has changed three times....the most recent date change was yesterday. Anybody else? Im going crazy trying to figure out what it means... I hope its positive.

same. in state with 3.32 159 if that helps
Do you think in-state hurts you? I hear from people that applied to the U that not many get in if they did their ugrad in the state... I guess the U strives to not be the BYU of the north... with 95% of students white males from Utah..

it didnt seem to hurt, when i talked to the dean of admissions, but he said it won't help either. I don't go to utah or byu, which is prob where they get the majority of their in state apps from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reebtoor

Bronze

Post by reebtoor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Status date changed to today.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 pm

reebtoor wrote:Status date changed to today.
When did you submit/go complete?

ashkenazy

New

Post by ashkenazy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:37 pm

I went from application complete to under review on the 22nd, and now I'm back to "application complete - thank you" on the 28th. I wonder if that means my decision is rendered?

reebtoor

Bronze

Post by reebtoor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 am

yo! wrote:
reebtoor wrote:Status date changed to today.
When did you submit/go complete?
Submitted 11/22
Complete 11/24
In review 1/22, 1/27

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reebtoor

Bronze

Post by reebtoor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:04 am

usuaggie wrote:
School? wrote:
usuaggie wrote:my date changed. under review 1/14 to under review 1/21
Mine did as well.... Maybe that means a decision? Oh and i agree with your shirt... BYU does suck.

TITCR

and i hope it means decision, but i am nervous. i prob wont get in.

p.s. that is not me, or my shirt. i am much better looking than ken jennings (but not as attractive, since i am a poor student, not a rich jeopardy nerd)
I'm guessing that "BYU does suck" simply because this is a UofU thread, but would y'all mind sharing any info about why the U would be a better choice if I were to have both options?

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:41 am

Mine didn't change. Still says Under Review 1/22. I'm also instate. Who knows what it means, but I hope they let us know soon of their decisions! Anybody know if they have the scholarship info with their acceptance letter?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm

reebtoor wrote: I'm guessing that "BYU does suck" simply because this is a UofU thread, but would y'all mind sharing any info about why the U would be a better choice if I were to have both options?
Are you mormon? that is a big factor. BYU is ultra conservative. Utah has a lot of mormon students too, but not to the extent of byu.
If you are mormon and like the byu atmosphere, you would prob enjoy byu. It also has good job prospects because you have a foot in the door with a lot of mormon lawyers, since many went to byu at one time, respect byu, or just like hiring fellow mormons.

Besides the culture/student body of byu, I don't see anything about the school that would be a disadvantage compared to u of U. it is cheaper, has the same or better job prospects, and is ranked slightly higher.

The main advantage of the U is the city, I think. Provo is an alright town, not too small or big, but salt lake offers a lot more to do, especially if you like to drink, buy anything on sunday, or stay out past 11 pm. SLC has more firms than Provo (obviously), so you wouldn't have to move or make that drive for summer jobs.

BYU has more school spirit, if you're into that kind of thing. Utah has a huge campus. It is ridiculous. But the law school is not spread out like the undergrad, so as long as you stay there, you probably won't even know there are other classrooms 45 mins away.

hope that helps. I did my best to hold my tongue against byu :P I feel like i'm starting to go soft and treat them with some sort of respect or something.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Movement! In review 1/28/10! Hopefully a decision in a couple weeks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

School? wrote:The biggest deciding factor for me is the student body. Both are comparably ranked, both usually place one or two students each into the top firms in SLC.. but BYU students often talk as if they are Yale and Harvard material. I understand that some may be, but in my small experience at law firms in SLC, I noticed that the BYU grads were much more arrogant, rude, and insecure about their school...

I can't count how many times I heard someone say "I went to BYU... but i COULD HAVE GONE (insert T14 name here)"

That weird pride/arrogance annoys me... but maybe you will enjoy it.
that is definitely the stereotype of byu students. superiority complex. They think that if you go to school in utah, but not byu, then it is only because you couldnt get into byu so you had to settle for less. Every so often a byu student comes along who is way down to earth and changes my mind, but within a week, some big DB changes my mind.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm

In SLC they place about the same. As such, if you're gunning for SLC as your main (or only option) you'd probably be able to get a better class rank (and thus better shot at SLC firm jobs) coming out of the U. If you're looking outside the state, BYU seems to have at least a modest advantage in job placement (esp. West Coast Biglaw placement). Cost is quite a bit cheaper. At BYU students are less diverse in terms of religion--but BYU Law attracts more people from outside of the state.

I don't know about the "insecurity" issue School? mentions. I'd check it out myself and talk to some real students. I do know that there are a lot of U of U undergrads who have gone on to BYU Law and seem to tolerate it quite well. Just visit and see what you think. BYU Law isn't BYU undergrad, and people's perceptions are colored by their upbringing and undergrad institution. Don't buy my advice or anyone else's. Go and see what you think, you're the only one who will know which you prefer.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:10 pm

emailed the U. they said they are expecting to send their first batch out the middle of february

reebtoor

Bronze

Post by reebtoor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 pm

My status date changed again today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm

two acceptances appeared on lsn. 165/2.8 and 162/3.7

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Status also changed to 2/4

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Do you think in-state hurts you? I hear from people that applied to the U that not many get in if they did their ugrad in the state... I guess the U strives to not be the BYU of the north... with 95% of students white males from Utah..[/quote]

It's the complete opposite. The U admits 2/3 if not more from Utah and BYU has about 2/3 of the student pool come from out of state. The white male is pretty close to accurate, but the in-state/out-of-state is reversed.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Just got off the phone with Dean Aguilar, who called to say I'm admitted. It was a nice conversation, mostly he just explained what letters will be sent out and when and when their important dates are. Also said scholarship info probably won't be sent until mid to late March.... That is a long time to wait for financial aid info....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”