Remains of the (Violent) J

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
PourMeTea

Remains of the (Violent) J

Postby PourMeTea » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:36 am

This is a diversity statement for a 2L scholarship. Please be gentle.

Faygo. A markedly Detroitian institution; this soft drink is the root beer of American epicureans. It’s a symbol of pride, of conviction. Of a city that’s been through hell and still stands tall. But for me, it’s a symbol of brotherhood. A hidden indicator of a blood bond that runs deep through the veins of thousands. We can be shunned for the face paint, the Hatchet Gear, the spider legs, the worn-in die cast necklaces. We will listen to our Horrorcore in secret, in the drug-ridden back alleys of the city or in the Grecian inspired comfort of our Harmonie Park high-rises. We may be stripped of outwardly displaying our signs of family. They may try to erase our identity, but the bond is strong; the bond remains. At dusk, I hear the sad song of a fading “whoop, whoop”, as the wind carries the echo through the grim streets, and then it is no more.

Faygo is all that remains. Our public façade may now be of the proper, quintessential American blue-collar worker, but we see our brothers and sisters despite the clown-like conformity we are forced to assume at daylight. For we carry Faygo, the final act of civil disobedience. “Whoop, whoop”, we whisper in passing. This is true solidarity. “Whoop, whoop,” we breathe, and our pulse pumps on.

We live for our expression, to gather and share our appreciation for the music that makes us feel alive. These are our basic human rights under the First Amendment, as they are yours. But of these we are stripped, because we are too different. Our institutional refusal to conform has made us outlaws, perpetuated by the actions of a few rabid, misguided brothers. We are a family like any other, yet we are not treated as individuals. The actions of one represent us all. A violent crime occurs; the perpetrator is Presbyterian. Are all Presbyterians then made to be a gang, outlawed in cities, outlawed to gather in groups of more than three? Of course not. The individual’s actions are separate from the intentions of the group. But we are the exception, because we do not conform.

We fight, but not with our mischaracterized violence. We fight on in the courts. Through our legal battles, I’ve become aware of the violation of the rights of certain fringe or minority groups. No one deserves to be marginalized, to be unequal in the eyes of the law. To do so is un-American. I, too, would like to continue this fight. For those who do not have a voice, or for those who have lost it. A legal education is my weapon of choice. Maybe some day, we can ride through the dark carnival once more. For now, we staunchly hold tight to Faygo, a small but not insignificant token of hope, patriotism, and pride.

LawsRUs

Re: Remains of the (Violent) J

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 am

OP, I had some trouble following the story, but I think the focus of the essay has to be more on you. Like where do you come from, what kind of perspective can you bring, what have you.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:54 am

LawsRUs wrote:OP, I had some trouble following the story, but I think the focus of the essay has to be more on you. Like where do you come from, what kind of perspective can you bring, what have you.

Are you illiterate? I say where I'm from and this is pretty basic "show, don't tell".

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:OP, I had some trouble following the story, but I think the focus of the essay has to be more on you. Like where do you come from, what kind of perspective can you bring, what have you.

Are you illiterate?

lolol i wasn't gonna say anything but now i DEFINITELY am!

this is brutally overwritten, especially the first paragraph. it reads like a chrystler commercial.

also you are stripped of the signs, not of displaying the signs. syntax.

also also horrorcore originated in new york, so it's not yours. :oops:

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:10 pm

Yep I'm illiterate. I'm still trying to learn how to read some people's writing

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Juggalos are ridiculous and I don't know if this works as a diversity statement on principle but I actually really liked the essay. I also love Chrysler commercials.

trvr

Postby trvr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:45 pm

It is mostly well written but ballcaps hit it on the nose with the Chrysler commercial comment

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:47 pm

The thesis for a diversity statement has to be along the lines of--
I am diverse because of XYZ backgrounds, which are underpresented in law, and for the power of the lgl institution to have maximum effect on people, the diversity of our experiences should be represented in practice. No commercials pls.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:47 pm

hdunlop wrote:Juggalos are ridiculous and I don't know if this works as a diversity statement on principle but I actually really liked the essay. I also love Chrysler commercials.

I'm Aryan. This is the most diverse thing about me :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:48 pm

LawsRUs wrote:The thesis for a diversity statement has to be along the lines of--
I am diverse because of XYZ backgrounds, which are underpresented in law, and for the power of the lgl institution to have maximum effect on people, the diversity of our experiences should be represented in practice. No commercials pls.

How many juggalos do you know in biglaw? Fuck off, I like Chrysler commercials. They're American.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Please be gentle.

Anonymous User wrote:Are you illiterate?

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck off

nicely done.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Pretty sure this is an ironic troll thread. A really good one too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 pm

ballcaps wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Please be gentle.

Anonymous User wrote:Are you illiterate?

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck off

nicely done.

Your first comment was constructive, and thank you for that. This is unnecessary, though.

Re: Horrorcore, I'm looking around to substantiate your claim that it originated in NY. Do you have a source on hand?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:25 pm

def not smaug thread

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Brut wrote:def not smaug thread

Don't know why SBL thread popped into my head first

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Brut wrote:def not smaug thread

Not a smaug thread. Please only post in here if you have something substantive to add. I'll be taking constructive criticism and taking this down soon. As you can imagine, there won't be many applicants with this sort of diversity statement.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Assuming this is for real (which I'm still not convinced of), I have to admit that while I like some of the imagery I'm not really sure what point the statement is trying to make. Particularly, I'm not clear what identity is being erased and what human rights are being stripped. Why are you treated as outlaws? What are you not conforming to? What legal battles are you actually fighting? Keep in mind that I don't know anything about Horrorcore, if that's what this is really about, which may just be me, but you may get a reader who shares my confusion. I take away from this that you consider yourself a member of an oppressed group that can be identified by drinking Faygo, but it's not clear who that groups is or what's oppressing them. Detroit suggests motor workers? But then the section about being punished for group membership isn't really clear to me. I do tend toward the literal, but I am left confused.

But I also tend to agree that a diversity statement for a job is a bit more of a direct explanation of what kind of diversity the applicant brings to the table, rather than the sort of creative non-fiction people tend to submit for PSes.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Assuming this is for real (which I'm still not convinced of), I have to admit that while I like some of the imagery I'm not really sure what point the statement is trying to make. Particularly, I'm not clear what identity is being erased and what human rights are being stripped. Why are you treated as outlaws? What are you not conforming to? What legal battles are you actually fighting? Keep in mind that I don't know anything about Horrorcore, if that's what this is really about, which may just be me, but you may get a reader who shares my confusion. I take away from this that you consider yourself a member of an oppressed group that can be identified by drinking Faygo, but it's not clear who that groups is or what's oppressing them. Detroit suggests motor workers? But then the section about being punished for group membership isn't really clear to me. I do tend toward the literal, but I am left confused.

But I also tend to agree that a diversity statement for a job is a bit more of a direct explanation of what kind of diversity the applicant brings to the table, rather than the sort of creative non-fiction people tend to submit for PSes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggalo

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh, yeah, then never mind. This is what happens when you have the aged and out of touch moderating.

Don't troll, OP, especially when I PM you to ask if you're trolling.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”