starting topic... should I continue?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

starting topic... should I continue?

Postby theleastdiverse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 pm

The stories of economic disparity and financial hardship were just that, stories. While fortunate enough to have been raised in a relatively well-off neighborhood, challenges that face many millions of Americans were simply nonexistent. Conversations focused on which colleges we were going to attend, not whether our fellow students would even graduate and attend college. Shortly after graduating and entering college, my admittedly limited views and presumptions were drastically changed.

I moved into the Franklin & Marshall community a week prior to the other first-year students to participate in a program called Project LAUNCH. Our cohort of students was paired with a group of freshmen students at a local Lancaster high school. The program was focused on mentorship, centered on the vision that we would see our mentees graduate from high school. Our group of mentors was extremely diverse, composed of students from various countries and representing the whole socioeconomic strata.

My experience must be characterized as a culture shock. My mentee came from a troubled inner city family, scarred by a criminal father and constant financial hardship.

So basically I have had a hard time coming up with what to write for my PS. My december LSAT is due in soon so I need to finish this up to submit applications. The above is a rough draft of what I have composed based on endless brainstorming.

Essentially I want to talk about how my experiences mentoring these kids changed me throughout college and how that has impacted how i view the world/whats important to me.

Really not gonna address the why law school question, but more of the who am i question.

Thanks guys!

Re: starting topic... should I continue?

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:36 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: starting topic... should I continue?

Postby coffeebeans24 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:43 am

I agree. I don't think that you should say that your problems were non existent. I think you should focus instead more on what you learned from the program and your mentors and relate that to law and going to law school. did this program spark something inside of you? what did it teach you? how did the things you have learned from it make you interested in law? or maybe you were interested in law from something else and this further supported it? You definitely have something here! you just need to write more and answer some of those questions.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”