Silly Yet Crucial Questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Tigress

Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby Tigress » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am

Tigress wrote:First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you

Traditionally, your initials are S.R.W. (but it's not that big a deal - if you're initialing a legal document most people would just write SRW).

The commas are correct, but you wouldn't use the abbreviation U.S. in a sentence - you would spell out United States.

Tigress

Postby Tigress » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tigress wrote:First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Thank you

Traditionally, your initials are S.R.W. (but it's not that big a deal - if you're initialing a legal document most people would just write SRW).

The commas are correct, but you wouldn't use the abbreviation U.S. in a sentence - you would spell out United States.

Oh really? What about J.D.? spell jurisprudence doctorate?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am

Tigress wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Thank you

Oh really? What about J.D.? spell jurisprudence doctorate?

Well, J.D. stands for Juris Doctor. In writing a PS, you wouldn't need to spell it out. On a resume, you could spell it out or use the abbreviation. But a degree is different from a country, so there are different expectations.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”