Silly Yet Crucial Questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
Tigress
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby Tigress » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am

Tigress wrote:First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you


Traditionally, your initials are S.R.W. (but it's not that big a deal - if you're initialing a legal document most people would just write SRW).

The commas are correct, but you wouldn't use the abbreviation U.S. in a sentence - you would spell out United States.

User avatar
Tigress
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby Tigress » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tigress wrote:First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you


Traditionally, your initials are S.R.W. (but it's not that big a deal - if you're initialing a legal document most people would just write SRW).

The commas are correct, but you wouldn't use the abbreviation U.S. in a sentence - you would spell out United States.


Oh really? What about J.D.? spell jurisprudence doctorate?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Silly Yet Crucial Questions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am

Tigress wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tigress wrote:First: How do you sign your name initials? If your name is Samuel Richard West, are your initials S.R.W. or S.W. or SRW or SW?

Second: Are the punctuations in this sentence proper : "Once I recovered, I flew to the U.S., shivering, frail, and full of hopes." particularly the comma after U.S.?

Thank you


Traditionally, your initials are S.R.W. (but it's not that big a deal - if you're initialing a legal document most people would just write SRW).

The commas are correct, but you wouldn't use the abbreviation U.S. in a sentence - you would spell out United States.


Oh really? What about J.D.? spell jurisprudence doctorate?

Well, J.D. stands for Juris Doctor. In writing a PS, you wouldn't need to spell it out. On a resume, you could spell it out or use the abbreviation. But a degree is different from a country, so there are different expectations.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.