Personal Statement Rough Draft for URM. Help Please! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Personal Statement Rough Draft for URM. Help Please!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I need some help with my personal statement so here's my rough draft so far. I feel in some areas it is way too wordy and other areas it is too choppy, as well being way too long. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

[removed]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Personal Statement Rough Draft for URM. Help Please!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 am

Bump

endless_sekai

New

Post by endless_sekai » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I like the statement. Full disclosure, I'm also a college athlete(tennis), so I might be slightly biased. At times, I definitely do think that its wordy. I think the first paragraph can be trimmed down a slight bit. Stylistically and attention grabbing wise I think you could do something by using the Mesmerized line to better catch the attention of the reader. That is, remove the first few sentences and start off with something along the lines of [ Mesmerized by the formality of national signing day, I began to reminisce on the numerous trials and tribulations that brought me to this moment etc etc etc. ]. I feel that does a lot more to grab attention than the previous sentences do. That and it conveys the fact that you were a student athlete a lot less boringly than the first sentences did.

I like that you mentioned that being an athlete allowed to to have the courage to decide against medical school. I think it demonstrates some conviction on your part.

I really don't like this line "Soccer, most importantly, introduced me to the concept of ......" The only reason why I dont like it is because, "most importantly" sounds insincere in my opinion. I think something along the lines of "Soccer, was not only a sport for me, but a way to connect to the world around me. It helped to introduce me to the concept of 'helping others while doing what you love'......etc etc etc...." To me, this sounds a lot more sincere and less forced than using what you currently have.

Lastly, I would remove the final line of that same paragraph.... "Doing so would not only...." Again, it just sounds insincere to me. I feel that the line before it does a much better job of representing how you feel in an authentic manner.

Overall, I liked the theme and thought you tied it well to your desire to be a lawyer. I think this statement could be real solid with a few changes. Hope this helps

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Thank you so much endless_sekai for your suggestions!! It sounds much better already. I revised the draft above - anyone else with suggestions/comments please?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I need help trimming this down for the UCLA personal statement requirements. With 1" margins and 12 pt. font, it takes up 3 pages :( I'll swap personals statements with someone, just PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”