Possible Topic - Please Advise

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Possible Topic - Please Advise

Postby az21833 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Currently working as an investment banking analyst for a couple of years prior to going to law school. Would like to write my personal statement about my interaction with the Occupy movement over the past year -- live only a few blocks from Zuccotti so the relationship began out of necessity (detours to get to work) but as time went on I actually spent a good amount of time down there with the protesters and tried to engage in dialogue regarding issues facing the financial services industry and nation more broadly (had spent a lot of time researching Dodd-Frank, Finra senior year of college). made a lot of friends down there and was able to clear up a number of misunderstandings despite being in an environment in which i was (far from) welcome at first.

Would conclude by discussing how the story illustrates my interest in the boundaries between business and society (as well as businesses with one another) and how law ultimately governs that relationship. Ideally, would convincingly link my work experience to why I would like to pursue law.

i realize this is pretty risky for a personal statement and may be hit/miss depending on the reader but what do you guys think? go for something more conservative? just wanted to write something that NOBODY else would be

Re: Possible Topic - Please Advise

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:29 pm

The topic seems fine, but the real test is in the presentation.

Re: Possible Topic - Please Advise

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

I think it could work well. Striking a balance between opposite viewpoints (banker vs. occupier) could be tricky, but you sound like you managed the balance in person, so maybe you'd be able to pull off the same thing in writing.

Have plenty of people (both pro- and anti- OWS would be good if you can) read it to see how it sounds to a variety of people. It's easy to unintentionally strike a completely wrong note, even if your topic is fine.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”