question on ONE paragraph Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
swtlilsoni

Bronze

question on ONE paragraph

Post by swtlilsoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Topic: I'm talking about how my different experiences in different countries affected me/changed my view or lifestyle

This shift in lifestyle occurred in every place I visited. In Abu Dhabi I experienced a world of extreme Muslim traditionalism mixed with western luxuries, where Namaz (prayers) were broad-casted through loudspeakers and trucks transporting camels drove alongside Bentleys and Maseratis. I started becoming aware of how contradictions coexist around and within us and how they can compliment each other. I once stayed in a small village in Malaysia, watching the farmers plow rice paddies with buffaloes, brushing my teeth with Neem tree sticks, and sleeping under the stars on the roof, making sure the snakes don't get on my bed. Even though the living conditions there were drastically different, and I did not have my iPhone, car, video games, or other advancements I use in the developed world, I was just as happy. This experience allowed me to clearly witness the concept of hedonic adaptation (outside factors temporarily affect our level of subjective happiness but as we adapt it adjusts back to neutrality).

Is the whole thing about hedonic adaptation too scientific? Should I come up with another way village life affected me?

Liquox

Bronze

Re: question on ONE paragraph

Post by Liquox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 am

too many lists. cut some of the details. if you must have them, rearrange them so that they read more like prose and less like a grocery list.

kublaikahn

Silver

Re: question on ONE paragraph

Post by kublaikahn » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Wrong complement.

Don't give us the definition of hedonic adaptation, and you did not witness it, you experienced it. Rather than impress with your knowledge, explain the process of altering your values to minimalist circumstances and the wisdom you attained in that process.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”