GPA Addendum / Bipolar disorder Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
msrio

New

GPA Addendum / Bipolar disorder

Post by msrio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Okay, here it goes: I had a really large dip in my GPA for a time. A few years ago I had a really difficult time and my grades suffered terribly, hitting a low of a 2.2 during one semester. Then I found out I had bipolar disorder, which the doctor said played a major part in all of it. Once I got on medication, my grades went up drastically, getting a 3.6 or higher for several semesters, and pretty much my whole life improved. I want to write an addendum to explain the bad grades, but I'm a little worried about putting in that I have a mental disorder. I don't want schools to think that I won't be a good or reliable student. Will it help or hurt?

JasonR

Bronze

Re: GPA Addendum / Bipolar disorder

Post by JasonR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Delicate situation for sure. Not sure what to tell you. It's generally not a great idea to advertise mental health issues, past or not, but it sounds like you also face the challenge of explaining more than one bad semester. Maybe someone who's been in a similar situation can offer some good advice.

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 am

I had this same exact situation but it was more like years rather than a semester. Still I chose not to disclose the why in my GPA addendum and complete regret it.

You don't want people thinking that the only reason you messed up a semester was because of immaturity. You have shown that you are able to manage school and your illness.

I would write the addendum and focus on the fact that you have been able maintain your grades for a prolongued period of time while keeping the bipolar under control.

Hope that helps!

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59 am

In some states you're going to have to disclose it during C+F anyway (I know you do in Indiana, though some people are trying to change it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”