Footnotes in PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Marinekingprime

New

Footnotes in PS?

Post by Marinekingprime » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:57 am

I have allot of supplementary information for my law school package (medical records, youth record, elementary and high school records, newspaper article and so on and so forth) would it be all right to reference this material in my PS by using footnotes?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Footnotes in PS?

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am

Marinekingprime wrote:I have allot of supplementary information for my law school package (medical records, youth record, elementary and high school records, newspaper article and so on and so forth) would it be all right to reference this material in my PS by using footnotes?
So you're asking if you should do something like:

"And then when I was 14 I won a pie eating contest at the county fair.[1] That's why you should let me in to your law school.

[1] see attached article from the Bumfuck Examiner."

The answer is absolutely not.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 am

If I were an admissions dean, I would auto-ding anyone who used footnotes in their PS.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 am

Of course not

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:49 am

I would auto ding anyone who has ever used the word "allot" when they mean "a lot."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:22 am

haha brutal in here

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 pm

The point's already been made, but no. All this will do is just pull the reader out of the story. If you want to say (to paraphrase Kilpatrick), "I won a pie-eating contest when I was 14 and still remember with pride reading my name in the paper!" that's reasonable. But a footnote is not.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 pm

billyez wrote:If you want to say (to paraphrase Kilpatrick), "I won a pie-eating contest when I was 14 and still remember with pride reading my name in the paper!" that's reasonable.
Also no.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 pm

First, no footnotes.

Second, in what capacity are report cards from elementary school relevant to law school admissions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Dany wrote:
billyez wrote:If you want to say (to paraphrase Kilpatrick), "I won a pie-eating contest when I was 14 and still remember with pride reading my name in the paper!" that's reasonable.
Also no.
Lol - I'm not being literal. The point is that if you have facts that you want to bring in to your PS then weave them into it in a normal fashion - not through something that would interrupt the flow of the PS.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:10 pm

That's still kind of like a citation, and it still sucks. You shouldn't be listing sources for stuff even if you're doing it in a narrative fashion. It's still weird and detracts from the essay.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm

I disagree with the "conventional wisdom" being espoused in this thread. Footnotes are a great way to show erudition. However, it is absolutely essential that they be in proper Bluebook (legal citation) form. These people on the adcoms are lawyers and legal academics! I suggest you start reading up: http://www.legalbluebook.com/

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm

I would totally do it. Don't listen to the haters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 pm

:lol:

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I seriously debated using/not using a footnote in my PS (completely tangental to the narrative, but necessary background info for the statement's message). I ultimately used the footnote. But again, in my case it was only one footnote, the footnote itself was just 5 or 6 words long, and the footnote was solely used to CLARIFY something (i.e., not as a citation) I didn't want to discuss at length and that otherwise would have broken up the main text in a really bad way if incorporated into the PS in any other way.

Bottom line: while I definitely wouldn't ENCOURAGE the use of footnotes, in my case I don't think it hurt my application.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I disagree with the "conventional wisdom" being espoused in this thread. Footnotes are a great way to show erudition. However, it is absolutely essential that they be in proper Bluebook (legal citation) form. These people on the adcoms are lawyers and legal academics! I suggest you start reading up: http://www.legalbluebook.com/
Even at an early age, I demonstrated academic excellence. See, e.g., Mrs. Johnson, 3d Grade Report Card, Smalltown Elementary (1993) (indicating the award of 4 gold stars). My work ethic and study habits have been consistently recognized as above average. Id. at *2; accord Mr. Wagner, 5th Period Remedial Algebra, 7th Grade Report Card, Smalltown Jr. High (2000) ("Marinekingprime completed all required assignments").

xmrmckenziex

New

Post by xmrmckenziex » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
Marinekingprime wrote:I have allot of supplementary information for my law school package (medical records, youth record, elementary and high school records, newspaper article and so on and so forth) would it be all right to reference this material in my PS by using footnotes?

"And then when I was 14 I won a pie eating contest at the county fair.[1] That's why you should let me in to your law school.

+1 I think the humor of said citation will succeed in a greater capacity than an actual footnote.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sneijder

New

Post by sneijder » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:55 am

Kilpatrick wrote:

+2

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 am

I would urintate on a PS with footnotes.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:I disagree with the "conventional wisdom" being espoused in this thread. Footnotes are a great way to show erudition. However, it is absolutely essential that they be in proper Bluebook (legal citation) form. These people on the adcoms are lawyers and legal academics! I suggest you start reading up: http://www.legalbluebook.com/
Even at an early age, I demonstrated academic excellence. See, e.g., Mrs. Johnson, 3d Grade Report Card, Smalltown Elementary (1993) (indicating the award of 4 gold stars). My work ethic and study habits have been consistently recognized as above average. Id. at *2; accord Mr. Wagner, 5th Period Remedial Algebra, 7th Grade Report Card, Smalltown Jr. High (2000) ("Marinekingprime completed all required assignments").
[1] The applicant was also voted best dresser. 5 Yearbook at 27, supra note 42.

xmrmckenziex

New

Post by xmrmckenziex » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:15 am

Just roll with me on this one...

PS consisting of nothing BUT footnotes!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 am

xmrmckenziex wrote:Just roll with me on this one...

Footnotes to footnotes. We'll call it the snow fortress level.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 am

Try to be funny and clever with your footnotes - like Chuck Klosterman!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

xmrmckenziex wrote:Just roll with me on this one...

I've seen Law Review artices and publications in other scholarly journals that appear this way - entire pages of footnotes. Ugh - who reads that crap?

Edit: I'm not sure why I capitalized law review.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:11 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Try to be funny and clever with your footnotes - like Chuck Klosterman!
Ah, if anything, this. When I was a senior in high school I wrote a paper that mentioned MacGuyver and had a footnote with a picture of MacGuyver for reference. Picture footnotes are TCR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”