addendum, regarding misdemeanor marijuana case

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rungo21

addendum, regarding misdemeanor marijuana case

Postby rungo21 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:50 am

Last edited by rungo21 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beast15

Re: addendum, regarding misdemeanor marijuana case

Postby Beast15 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 am

rungo21 wrote:I guess I have to check yes to the dreaded criminal background question, as this particular one asks if I've ever even been "accused... including juvenile offenses." Could you guys please take a look at my addendum? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I checked “yes” on question 20 due to the uncertain nature of a case I was involved in eight years ago when I was 15. During my sophomore year of high school, at Marina High School in Huntington Beach, Calif., I was found in possession of marijuana on school campus. Upon receiving disciplinary action, I was required to attend an alternative high school program for a brief period before reentering standard high school. I completed all disciplinary requirements and continued my junior year of high school in Arcadia High School in Arcadia, Calif.

While this offence was a misdemeanor and handled through my high school, I was unclearof extent to which official police records were kept. Due to the nature of question 20 of the application for admission, which asks, “Have you ever been charged with…including juvenile and expunged offenses…,” I am disclosing everything regarding this event. The incident was an isolated one, when at the time I was experimenting with marijuana in my teenage years. I have learned my lesson, and have never come anywhere close to marijuana or any other drug after this incident, and I have since been completely against the use of marijuana or any drugs.

As a personal reflection to this incident, I deeply regret that I had experimented with marijuana when I was young. However, I try only to learn from the past, to make the most of the lessons learned. While I take full responsibility of my actions, and recognize I will always have this cross to bear, I am actually grateful that this happened to me. It had completely thwarted any appeal that marijuana or other drugs have to me. Additionally it taught me that fooling around with such things is no way to success, and since then have been determined to succeed and not to be distracted by such negative things like marijuana and drug use. This is the full extent of disclosure regarding this issue.

Aside from the grammatical and syntax errors (see bold above), it's fine. It wouldn't be difficult to improve it though. First, I suggest that you put forth some effort and actually look into your criminal history records with the City, County, State, School District, etc.

It makes sense to pin down the details of your offense, and how it was subsequently handled--by you and the courts/school district--before addressing it in an addendum. You refer to the situation as a "case" in your letter but you seem to not know whether or not there was any "case" actually filed. Unless you are disclosing regardless of whether or not the issue is noted in your criminal history, you should take the time to get all the facts together first. If you don't, and your State Bar finds that you inaccurately represented the event in your law school apps, you'll have trouble passing the relevant sections of the background check (probably Character and Fitness).

If you're going to disclose, then at least make sure the disclosure is as factually accurate as possible.

fjsms

Re: addendum, regarding misdemeanor marijuana case

Postby fjsms » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Beast15 wrote:First, I suggest that you put forth some effort and actually look into your criminal history records with the City, County, State, School District, etc.

It makes sense to pin down the details of your offense, and how it was subsequently handled--by you and the courts/school district--before addressing it in an addendum. You refer to the situation as a "case" in your letter but you seem to not know whether or not there was any "case" actually filed. Unless you are disclosing regardless of whether or not the issue is noted in your criminal history, you should take the time to get all the facts together first. If you don't, and your State Bar finds that you inaccurately represented the event in your law school apps, you'll have trouble passing the relevant sections of the background check (probably Character and Fitness).

If you're going to disclose, then at least make sure the disclosure is as factually accurate as possible.

+1. Take a look at the level of detail required on C&F forms. If you can't answer the questions, find out how to answer them. Two benefits - you'll be able to ensure you accurately represent the event here, and it will save you time later.

Also, it seems a little wordy and short on facts. But that's just my opinion.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”