Rather long addendum, what do you think? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Rather long addendum, what do you think?

Post by TJISMYHERO » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Addendum

Intent to Graduate: Although I have currently completed 86 credit hours, this semester I am taking 19 hours and will graduate in May of 2011.

GPA: My LSAC GPA is 3.09. As reflected upon in my personal statement, I spent the first year and a half of undergrad with my primary focus on work and providing a high standard of living for myself. This has changed, and I hope my upward grade trend indicates that I am dedicated to my studies and will excel as a law student.

“YES” on Question 9A:

On August 22nd, 2009 I had a car accident where a privately owned construction fence was damaged. I was charged with RECKLESS DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY. I was driving too fast and have taken full responsibility for my actions and have since had no traffic incidents of any kind.

Charge: RECKLESS DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY
Date: 08/22/2009
Class: Class C Misdemeanor
Disposition: GUILTY

On August 22nd, 2009 I was charged with and arrested for POSESSION OF MARIJUANA < 2 OZ. While the marijuana was not mine, I did know it was in the car. I was on the tail end of my rebellious attitude in college and take full responsibility for my lapse in judgment. The charge was dropped by the arresting agency because I was willing to help the police catch a known drug dealer at my work.

Charge: POSESSION OF MARIJUANA < 2 OZ
Date: 08/22/2009
Class: Class B Misdemeanor
Disposition: DROPPED BY THE ARRESTING AGENCY

On September 25th, 2009 I was charged with and arrested for CRIMINAL TRESPASS for smoking a cigarette on private property, after being warned that cigarette smoking was banned. While the charge was dismissed, I take full responsibility for my actions and recognize how important it is to respect the wishes of others. This incident was a major turning point in my life where, not only did I give up smoking, but rededicated my life to my studies.

Charge: CRIMINAL TRESPASS
Date: 09/25/2009
Class: Class B Misdemeanor
Disposition: DISMISSED

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Re: Rather long addendum, what do you think?

Post by MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:04 am

Either you lived in the last strictly Puritan community in the United States, or you're FUBAR'ed. You're not entirely hopeless, though. Apply to schools that are representative of your numbers and hope that the diversity chair is admit-happy.

MW

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 am

Maybe you should take some time to distance yourself from this ish/raise your GPA?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:09 am

re phrase the drug chage. It sounds like you got caught, then immediately ratted on the dealer in exchange for a lesser sentence. Just say it got dropped.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 am

TJISMYHERO wrote: The charge was dropped by the arresting agency because I was willing to help the police catch a known drug dealer at my work.
NARC.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 am

Remove the summaries and put them in the text. It will make it look a lot shorter

Example:

On August 22nd, 2009 I had a car accident where a privately owned construction fence was damaged. I was charged with RECKLESS DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY (Class C Misdemeanor). I took full responsibility for my actions and entered a guilty plea. I have had no traffic violations of any kind since this incident.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”