Anyone else writing a 'non creative' PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sra_sundance

New

Anyone else writing a 'non creative' PS?

Post by sra_sundance » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm non trad and a scientist...there's no way I should attempt a more creative sounding narrative imo. I'm pretty much talking about my interests in law/why I want to go to LS.

Anyone else? (just looking for some random interwebs nerve calming :) )

rso11

Bronze

Re: Anyone else writing a 'non creative' PS?

Post by rso11 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I think creativity is relatively inherent in everyone's life; you just have to find a way to present it to the reader. You said you're a non-traditional student and have a science background--that already sets you apart from a lot of the applicants. I think if you're honest about it and write well, you don't need to do anything particularly unusual. But perhaps you could define what you mean by "creative"?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:57 pm

sra_sundance wrote:I'm non trad and a scientist...there's no way I should attempt a more creative sounding narrative imo. I'm pretty much talking about my interests in law/why I want to go to LS.

Anyone else? (just looking for some random interwebs nerve calming :) )
Yeah my PS is pretty basic, not some compilation of crazy life stories or personal tragedies. I think a non-creative PS if it communicates who you are effectively can be just as good as the more attention grabbing personal statements that people pine over.

sra_sundance

New

Post by sra_sundance » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone was writing a more straightforward PS.

I just don't want my PS to look to 'resume-y'...although I want to highlight how my career/education to date has influenced my decision to apply to law school...and add that I bring a different perspective with my age and experience (lol I'm not that old...but I suppose that's all relative!)

Thanks for the input!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:06 am

I wrote a lame "why i want to be a lawyer" essay, work fine for me. GPA/LSAT > Essay unless Yale or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”