Personal Statement advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Personal Statement advice

Postby Steve25 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey Guys,
I am currently studying for the LSAT and doing pretty well (166 on third diagnostic, with a little under a month left to study). I have a 3.42 GPA (cumulative) in International Relations from UC Santa Barbra.
However, once I am done I need to begin drafting a personal statement. Everywhere I go I seem to find different opinions about how to best go about this. Currently I am drawing a blank, I do not even know where to start. Ideally I would Like to get into UCLA or USC. My question is: Is there any specific advice I should know before I embark on writing? Is there anything specifically that I should be adding to to personal statements to differentiate them between schools? And is there any widely accepted format for them? Thanks in advance.

Re: Personal Statement advice

Postby WayBryson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 pm

There is an excellent guide to Personal Statements on this site. I also found the Yale admissions blog very helpful. I would check that out even if you don't plan to apply there. As far as the writing itself goes, I started by jotting down a bunch of individual things I thought I might want to talk about, e.g. experiences, values, future plans, etc. I then took each one of these and did a miniature free write. It was really helpful for me. Good luck on your LSAT.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”