Length of optional essays?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mgregory3203

Length of optional essays?

Postby mgregory3203 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:07 am

I'm trying to write as many of the optional essays as I can get to, I'm curious if anyone knows or has an opinion on how long they should be if not specified in the instructions. For example, I'm keeping all my personal statements at 2 pages double-spaced or less because that seems to be the consensus, is that the case for optional writing too or is that presumed to be a little more flexible? Thanks for the help!

Knock

Re: Length of optional essays?

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:49 am

mgregory3203 wrote:I'm trying to write as many of the optional essays as I can get to, I'm curious if anyone knows or has an opinion on how long they should be if not specified in the instructions. For example, I'm keeping all my personal statements at 2 pages double-spaced or less because that seems to be the consensus, is that the case for optional writing too or is that presumed to be a little more flexible? Thanks for the help!

I would say keep it to one page. I'm not sure, but i'm basing that on the suggested length for most DS's. Unless you really have something extraordinary to say, but if not, I'd keep it one page.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 am

Wait a minute..where did you find optional essay prompts? I thought they wouldn't be available until most applications were released in a few weeks

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:54 am

appreqs.com

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 pm

The optional essays that I wrote (an addendum and various Why X essays) were all kept to roughly 200-250 words. This gave me enough space to show that I'd done my research and would be a beneficial addition to the law school community without being too verbose and detracting from the rest of my application.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Can someone clarify what an optional essay is? Does that just refer to including an addendum and a diversity statement or is there an actual prompt asking us to write about something specific like many of us had to do when applying to college?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Can someone clarify what an optional essay is? Does that just refer to including an addendum and a diversity statement or is there an actual prompt asking us to write about something specific like many of us had to do when applying to college?

It may or may not have an explicit prompt. Some schools do like Michigan and Penn I believe. However, most schools will accept a Why X? Optional essay (contact their admissions office beforehand to be sure though). There are also diversity statements, which most schools will accept but only a few offer explicit prompts for it.

Things like GPA addendums and other addenda (?) are not considered optional essays, although I would recommend contacting the school's admissions office and confirming this to be safe.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:44 pm

One page, double-spaced.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Knockglock wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Can someone clarify what an optional essay is? Does that just refer to including an addendum and a diversity statement or is there an actual prompt asking us to write about something specific like many of us had to do when applying to college?

It may or may not have an explicit prompt. Some schools do like Michigan and Penn I believe. However, most schools will accept a Why X? Optional essay (contact their admissions office beforehand to be sure though). There are also diversity statements, which most schools will accept but only a few offer explicit prompts for it.

Things like GPA addendums and other addenda (?) are not considered optional essays, although I would recommend contacting the school's admissions office and confirming this to be safe.

What is a "why x" optional essay?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:29 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Wait a minute..where did you find optional essay prompts? I thought they wouldn't be available until most applications were released in a few weeks

They rarely change.

iwanta170 wrote:What is a "why x" optional essay?

Let x = the school to which you are applying. It turns out that telling a school that you really really REALLY do want to go there has an impact on their decision.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”