technical writer's first crack Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
fruitcocktail

New

technical writer's first crack

Post by fruitcocktail » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 am

Like the topic says. I am more of a technical writer which renders me a straightforward writer. I feel like this statement is not as ornate as many I have read, but it does the job.

If you have the time throw some comments my way. thanks!

It started with a bright red alien. After inserting a device into his head and giving it several pumps he became rigid. Now he was ready to be stretched. But wait! This is nothing like the commercial promised! It was the early nineties and the alien was an unnamed toy made by an unnamed toy manufacturer. I soon began calling the manufacturer on a daily basis. I demanded an explanation for the discrepancies between the lavish promises of the commercial and the toy itself. Unfortunately, the issue was never resolved to my satisfaction.
While it is often difficult to pinpoint childhood events which contribute to an overall perception of the world, this was such an occurrence. I felt wronged and there was nothing I could do about it. My scope widened. Before getting on the rollercoaster at the Mall of America in Minneapolis I starting checking the bolts on the track for tightness. My family began calling me Ralph in reference to Ralph Nader. This would prove to be more accurate than my family could predict. I became more and more aware of gaps in logic, injustices and discrepancies. My childhood experiences were evolving beyond the materialistic complaints of a middle class youth.
Along the way a man by the name of James Randi has significantly guided the focus and trajectory of my goals. Randi is a man resembling Charles Darwin who tests supernatural, paranormal and occult claims. Randi’s organization offers one million dollars to anyone who can prove such claims under testing conditions. The prize has never been won. Either those who make claims of this nature are not in need of a million dollars or these types of powers do not exist. Take your pick. Regardless, the motive behind Randi’s work is that he despises the predatory nature of proponents of such claims. Offenders include industries built upon physic power, homeopathy, astrology, faith healing, dowsing, anti-vaccination and many more. In most cases the decision to seek answers from such pseudo sciences is made out of disparity. Conventional medicine is failing; a loved one is missing; a difficult decision must be made. These weakened individuals are welcomed with open arms by cheaters, fakers and charlatans who hope to empty their wallets.
I intend to stoke the fire that this brand of deception ignites in me by becoming an attorney. In this manner I intend to emulate Randi in striving to light the way for others. In this capacity I have set forth two goals. The first is to positively impact the lives of others, be it directly or indirectly. I intend to accomplish this by means of my work ethic. This goal will be accomplished by never compromising an unwavering mechanism within me. This mechanism renders me incapable to sit by idly when I have the capability to intervene. The second goal, I admit, is based in selfishness. I find immense satisfaction in navigating complex systems. I derive pleasure from using such systems to create order. As much as I enjoy contributing to a just cause which benefits another, I am driven to confront those who strive for the opposite.
I truly believe that life on earth is all that anyone has. While some may say that this position offers a bleak outlook of existence I take the opposite position. Rather than find despair in this notion I find opportunity. I am resolved to leave a meaningful, positive impact in the span of my finite life. I am not interested in prestige. I am not interested in wealth. I am not interested in power. I will be attending law school because I choose to mature my abilities by means of the practice of law.

mallard

Silver

Re: technical writer's first crack

Post by mallard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:21 am

After inserting a device into his head and giving it several pumps he became rigid.
Um.

Diamond

Re: technical writer's first crack

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 am

I actually know a guy who wrote his personal statement for Stanford undergrad as a transfer about a James Randi lecture. He got in.

This flame is a 120 though.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”