IU - Indianapolis Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Eriro

IU - Indianapolis Class of 2011

Postby Eriro » Mon May 12, 2008 6:50 pm

anyone else going?

pistol78

Re: IU - Indianapolis Class of 2011

Postby pistol78 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:35 pm

I might be, anyone else?

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Mon May 19, 2008 3:11 pm

so what's your story? also, any questions on Indy? I'm from there originally, so I might be able to help you out with places to live, etc.

also, when you finally decide make sure you post your school at http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18798 so you get added to the list (which is just me, at this point)

Herbellis

Postby Herbellis » Tue May 20, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm Likely headed to Indy! I need to find a place to live, and I'm not sure whats what around there?

Phil1234

Postby Phil1234 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm headed to Indy. Check the school website for housing. I already received packets on places really close to campus. There's an apartment complex called Canal Street Apartments that are across the street from the school. Kinda pricey though; $750ish for a 400 sq ft studio.

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 am

Canal street apartments are really nice. That whole area near the law school is actually pretty great. Indy has been doing a lot with downtown revitalization, so there should be a lot of options. Also, the bus system is decent, and a lot of places are probably walkable. I would avoid anything on the Westside that's not near the law school, as it can get kind of shady around there. Fountain Square area (near southside) used to be great, then it got a little shady but now is really getting cleaned up. We have friends who just bought a house there and they love it. I'll actually be home for good in two weeks, so I can check out neighborhoods if you want.

beccalee

Postby beccalee » Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I'll be attending Indy as a 1L this fall. Ive heard quite a lot of great things about the school and Indianapolis as well. I'll be coming from southern california so moving to cow town is going to be quite a change for me, but I am getting more excited about relocating the more I hear about what indianapolis has to offer. I have also already found housing too, a bungalow style house half a mile from the law school for only 600 a month. Anyone else coming from Cali?

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Sat May 31, 2008 10:43 am

LOL. Well, Indianapolis isn't really cowtown, but that's what you enter pretty much the second you leave it. I'm a little surprised that you found a house that cheap. Did you visit the area? There are some places near the law school that a lot of people probably wouldn't want to live . . . .

Herbellis

Postby Herbellis » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:27 pm

beccalee wrote:I'll be attending Indy as a 1L this fall. Ive heard quite a lot of great things about the school and Indianapolis as well. I'll be coming from southern california so moving to cow town is going to be quite a change for me, but I am getting more excited about relocating the more I hear about what indianapolis has to offer. I have also already found housing too, a bungalow style house half a mile from the law school for only 600 a month. Anyone else coming from Cali?

I was until I got into Loyola. Did you have to make that decision too? I'm not sure what to do. I hate the area around Loyola, and the commute is horrible. I like Indy but I don't plan on practicing in Indiana! Not sure what to do.

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:09 pm

I think you will find that a degree from Indy doesn't limit you to Indiana. Ok, I don't really have much to back this up, but I know that the school places a lot of people in the big Indianapolis firms that usually have offices in other states, so that could give you some options for moving and practicing out of state. I would call the school and see what their alumni connections are like before you make your decision.

beccalee

Postby beccalee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Loyola and Indy are pretty much on the same level in terms of rankings, but it seems to me that you might be able to get more mileage coming out of Loyola...maybe that is because I'm from LA and am just more familiar with Loyola's reputation as opposed to Indy's?... i'm not sure if that is really the case though. But anyhow, If you are looking to practice here in LA, then I would definitely choose Loyola over Indy. Just keep in mind that coming out of Loyola - unless you are in the top of the class- (and this is probably the case everywhere) you might face some difficulty finding a decent paying legal job due to the oversaturation of LA's legal market.

The good news is that currently I work in a "big law" law firm and I know that they hold Loyola grads in high regard but they also recruit and hire attorneys that have attended law school in the midwest. From what I understand (from talking with our recruiting dept) there are so many factors that come into play when looking to hire summers, (mainly grades and interesting life experiences) they want someone that has something significant to bring to the table (we have turned down Yale grads with nothing to offer)... they do not base their hiring decisions specifically on the law school one attends. I know this because we also hire Chapman law grads (tier 4 school- i believe) so some firms definitely look beyond the rankings.

Anyhow, I chose Indy because I'm looking to escape from LA for a while, Ive spent most of my life here and I'm just looking for new opportunities and a change in atmosphere- that and the fact that the school has a lot of great programs to offer. It just feels like i'm being pulled in Indy's direction. Eventually I might make my way back to LA...could be sooner than I think if Indiana turns out to be this unliveable, isolated cow town that everyone here in LA keeps teasing me about :wink: ....but I'm sure they've got it wrong... and i'm excited to be attending none the less!

Phil1234

Postby Phil1234 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm from LA!

Herbellis, if you want to practice in LA, it is probably going to be more advantageous to go to Loyola. What I hear from Loyola graduates is that the alumni base is really strong in LA so with decent grades, it shouldn't be too hard getting a job.

Are you guys planning to bring a car? I was thinking of trying to get housing on campus or within walking distance. Is this crazy, especially for someone from LA?

beccalee

Postby beccalee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Yes, I'm bringing my car, even though I will only be living half a mile away from the law school. To me, having a car = Freedom....especially when its snowing. Are you planning on driving from LA? ..or are you thinking of having your car shipped over there and then hop on a flight? How are you planning on moving all of your things over to Indy?

Phil1234

Postby Phil1234 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm planning to not take my car to Indy. I have my fingers crossed that I can get on-campus housing so that I don't have to worry about furniture. Probably ship some clothes over, but I have no winter clothing besides my snowboarding jacket! Since everyone says the first year is the hardest, I probably won't be driving around much and sightseeing. I figure if I really do need my car, I can always go get it during the winter break.

If you see a guy in class this winter layered in 7 tshirts and a Burton jacket, it's probably me.

Herbellis

Postby Herbellis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I hate LA. Don't get me wrong. Im a bay area guy, and thats really where my heart is. I would assume that Loyola has far more pull in the Bay than Indiana too, so that's something to think about.

About the car. I think that would be a fun drive. It takes about a day and a half according to google. I would take the Vegas route, then up to Chicago, over to Cleveland and then down. Visit some friends.

pdennis1000

Postby pdennis1000 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey folks! Congrats on getting in to Indy. Awesome to see other people excited about the school. I got in but had been on the fence about whether to go this year or not. Ultimately I decided to wait until 2009 to start school. When I sent in my withdrawal from Indy they e-mailed me and offered me a deferment until next year. This will take a lot of the stress off my LSAT retake in October.

Suffice to say, I have been more than impressed with the adcomms and the school in general. If they continue to show the care they have this cycle I will definitely matriculate next year.

rich1979

Postby rich1979 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:09 pm

I was wondering about housing. How did you go about finding a bungalow?
Can someone tell me the neighborhoods that are safe and somewhat near school?

Thanks
Rich

indiana_student

Postby indiana_student » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Rich, I am very familiar with the housing situation. You won't find any neighborhoods that I'd consider dangerous, but then again, I have spent a period of my life in Chicago. If I were to attending IU-Indianapolis Law, I'd try to get an apartment on the Canal. The area is really nice, on campus (apartments not dorms), and fairly lively as many people exercise on the canal. Also, it is roughly a five minute walk from downtown Indianapolis.

rich1979

Postby rich1979 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 am

Is parking readily accessible near the school and around the area? i'm from chicago too, and i know it can be a hassle here. do they have street parking there with meters? or zone stickers?

also is it pretty bike friendly? are there bike lanes at all?
thanks

Phil1234

Postby Phil1234 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:53 pm

I called Canal St Apartments today and they told me that they were not putting any more people on their waitlist.

I also need to find a place that is walking distance to campus. Any recommendations?

indiana_student

Postby indiana_student » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 pm

rich1979 wrote:Is parking readily accessible near the school and around the area? i'm from chicago too, and i know it can be a hassle here. do they have street parking there with meters? or zone stickers?

also is it pretty bike friendly? are there bike lanes at all?
thanks

Downtown (five minute walk) has parking meters. You also have parking garages. The garages are VERY cheap...like $2 for three hours. The university itself has parking passes.

I'd say it is too close to downtown to be bike friendly.

indiana_student

Postby indiana_student » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Phil1234 wrote:I called Canal St Apartments today and they told me that they were not putting any more people on their waitlist.

I also need to find a place that is walking distance to campus. Any recommendations?

I believe there are other apartments on the Canal. If you cannot get by the Canal or in any university housing, then it may be a hassle-though not impossible-to get within walking distance. A big problem is the fact that downtown is within walking distance, and there aren't apartment complexes on that side of downtown (although there are a few others closer to campus). There are apartment complexes east of Meridian (which is probably too far to walk).

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 am

A few years back I biked from Broad Ripple to the campus a few times, which required traveling from well east of Meridian to that side of town. I wouldn't say it's bike-friendly, but I also didn't feel like I was taking my life in my hands. Indy is still primarily a car-driven city, though, and you might need to make friends w/ someone who has a car for major grocery shopping and stuff. Downtown, though, I think the bus system is pretty good (it is safe), but I haven't used it in a while. I had a friend (single female) who lived in some apartments on Meridian St. near the Children's Museum, and she didn't have any safety concerns.

Phil1234

Postby Phil1234 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone can give me some info. I got a place north of campus; its west of MLK and south of 10th St. I was wondering how that area was. I've been told that certain parts of Indy were not great. Any input about that region would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Eriro

Postby Eriro » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Phil, I will probably be out that way sometime this week, so I could take some pictures. If you want to PM me the street name, I could make it a little more specific.

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”