Notre Dame Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 pm

So who else is going? I'm pretty excited, I've wanted to go to ND for most of my life. If anyone has any questions about ND or South Bend in general, I've visited a lot over my lifetime and I have family there so I may be able to help.

Ok, I created a facebook page. I'm almost too old for this, but it could work as a great place for all of us to talk about the school.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 668&ref=mf

Also, if anyone has any questions about ND or South Bend, I've been going there at least a few times a year for 25 years. I'll try to answer whatever and if I can't, I'll find you the answer.

seeyouincourt28
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby seeyouincourt28 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

hey man... (and anyone else subsequently posting) I haven't been admitted yet but in the off-chance that i am admitted, I was wondering if you knew what apartments/housing are considered good for grad students, especially those with a dog? Also I've heard that C.O.L. is relatively cheap there, is this true?

Any other insights you can give a Texan hoping to ultimately be admitted to ND would also be greatly appreciated :)

AO

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:06 pm

seeyouincourt28 wrote:hey man... (and anyone else subsequently posting) I haven't been admitted yet but in the off-chance that i am admitted, I was wondering if you knew what apartments/housing are considered good for grad students, especially those with a dog? Also I've heard that C.O.L. is relatively cheap there, is this true?

Any other insights you can give a Texan hoping to ultimately be admitted to ND would also be greatly appreciated :)

AO


COL is really cheap, finding a 1br for $500 should be pretty easy. Beyond that beer is cheap, a lot of the restaurants are inexpensive, life is good. It gets a little pricey for things on football weekends but after the first one you'll know the ropes.

I don't know specific apartments beyond Turtle Creek. I already have my living arrangements made through family so I haven't done much searching. I'm heading to ND this weekend and will try to find some stuff out. If I do, I'll let you know.

Good luck getting in, ND really needs people that get it and want to be there.

seeyouincourt28
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby seeyouincourt28 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Yeah... any time you can put into gathering general information would be spectacular, and if you want to drop my name to the adcomm that would be even better ;)

Either way, I'll buy you a pint during orientation if I'm admitted :)

AO

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:02 am

Yay! I'm so glad someone made a thread (and a Facebook group!). I'm so stoked about ND!

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:37 am

seeyouincourt28 wrote:Yeah... any time you can put into gathering general information would be spectacular, and if you want to drop my name to the adcomm that would be even better ;)

Either way, I'll buy you a pint during orientation if I'm admitted :)

AO


I think I've used up all my good luck with the admissions office getting in myself. What I know helped me was writing an LOCI detailing exactly why ND and how much it would mean to me. It was, is, my first choice for a lot of reason and I think that I conveyed that pretty well.

I'll see what they have in the admissions office this weekend. I'm not going to have a ton of time to spend in SB. I have to take my sister to visit once more so she can decide if she's going to go there for undergrad this fall. I'm sure I'm going to be doing dorm and academic tours most of the day Friday, but I'll get what I can.

And you don't have to buy me a pint... just bring some beer to the first tailgate of the year this fall.

maruchan
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby maruchan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:49 pm

<-- going.. Also, what's the facebook group's name?

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:50 pm

maruchan wrote:<-- going.. Also, what's the facebook group's name?


Awesome, congrats! The facebook group is: Notre Dame Law School Class of 2011

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12225835668

LTF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LTF » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm in, and just joined the FB group.

seeyouincourt: I'm in the same boat as you. I just got a lab this past year, and I'm concerned on what I'm going to do with her. I'm leaning toward just leaving her at home - I don't know how much free time I'm going to have to play with her, walk her, etc.. and I'm also worried about her just being an added distraction when I'm trying to get used to things. Tough choice for me.. but I think she'll be happier in Houston. :(

seeyouincourt28
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby seeyouincourt28 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm

LTF wrote:I'm in, and just joined the FB group.

seeyouincourt: I'm in the same boat as you. I just got a lab this past year, and I'm concerned on what I'm going to do with her. I'm leaning toward just leaving her at home - I don't know how much free time I'm going to have to play with her, walk her, etc.. and I'm also worried about her just being an added distraction when I'm trying to get used to things. Tough choice for me.. but I think she'll be happier in Houston. :(


I'm not in yet, but sincerely hoping for it...

as far as the pup goes, I'm afraid I'm wayyy too attached to leave him with the 'rent (who live in SF now) so I'll probably spend a certain number of hours studying at my house rather than the library so he can have some company/attention. I've also heard that there are houses with backyards not far from campus that aren't too expensive (can anyone confirm?)

I was also thinking of getting a kegerator (sp?) and perhaps hosting some study groups etc at my place? who knows... all depends on how this next week goes I suppose...

and if I haven't already told you, LTF and jaliebs and em, congrats on admission :) I would consider myself quite lucky to be your classmate :)

AO

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:48 pm

I've also heard that there are houses with backyards not far from campus that aren't too expensive (can anyone confirm?)

I was also thinking of getting a kegerator (sp?) and perhaps hosting some study groups etc at my place? who knows... all depends on how this next week goes I suppose...

and if I haven't already told you, LTF and jaliebs and em, congrats on admission :) I would consider myself quite lucky to be your classmate :)

AO


Thanks, I'd be happy to have you join us. I think it's important for the school to have people that really want ND.

As far as housing goes, there are a lot of houses near campus and the ones for sale are all reasonably priced. Between $100-150k, you'll find plenty of decent houses. I saw a 5br, 3 bath this weekend that was for sale for $149k. If you go over $150k, you'll find some really nice houses. Most of the homes will have a decent yard, it seemed like a lot of the lots were ~ 80 x 120 feet. It's just typical, small town midwest real estate.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm really wanting to get a kitten, but I want to find a roommate who won't mind cats...it seems like everyone is either anti-pet or anti-cat. Cats are probably a little more low maintenance than dogs, since they are so independent and sleep so much and can use a litterbox. From what I can tell a lot of the apartment complexes seem pet-friendly.

LTF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LTF » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:17 pm

seeyouincourt28 wrote:
LTF wrote:I'm in, and just joined the FB group.

seeyouincourt: I'm in the same boat as you. I just got a lab this past year, and I'm concerned on what I'm going to do with her. I'm leaning toward just leaving her at home - I don't know how much free time I'm going to have to play with her, walk her, etc.. and I'm also worried about her just being an added distraction when I'm trying to get used to things. Tough choice for me.. but I think she'll be happier in Houston. :(


I'm not in yet, but sincerely hoping for it...

as far as the pup goes, I'm afraid I'm wayyy too attached to leave him with the 'rent (who live in SF now) so I'll probably spend a certain number of hours studying at my house rather than the library so he can have some company/attention. I've also heard that there are houses with backyards not far from campus that aren't too expensive (can anyone confirm?)

I was also thinking of getting a kegerator (sp?) and perhaps hosting some study groups etc at my place? who knows... all depends on how this next week goes I suppose...

and if I haven't already told you, LTF and jaliebs and em, congrats on admission :) I would consider myself quite lucky to be your classmate :)

AO


We would be lucky to have you - I hope you get in!

jaliebs: have you noticed that the FB group doesn't show up in searches? Does anyone have any idea why that would be? Surely there's more than 4 of us!

User avatar
azhawk08
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby azhawk08 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:26 pm

LTF/jaliebs... when creating a FB group, you can choose if it is open, closed, or secret. below those options is a checkbox asking whether or not the group should show up in searches and networks. I'm guessing the box is unchecked right now? it's a pretty simple fix- jaliebs will just have to edit the group next time he logs on and check that little box.

sooooo I can't join the group yet, but at least I can stalk it! wow, facebook definitely takes creepiness to the next level. I love it.

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:38 pm

jaliebs: have you noticed that the FB group doesn't show up in searches? Does anyone have any idea why that would be? Surely there's more than 4 of us!


I have no idea. I just checked the settings and it's set to show up in search results. I'm not sure what else to do about it. Maybe because they (seemingly) waitlisted everyone, we are the only 4 right now.

maruchan
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby maruchan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:41 pm

jaliebs wrote:
jaliebs: have you noticed that the FB group doesn't show up in searches? Does anyone have any idea why that would be? Surely there's more than 4 of us!


I have no idea. I just checked the settings and it's set to show up in search results. I'm not sure what else to do about it. Maybe because they (seemingly) waitlisted everyone, we are the only 4 right now.


I couldn't find it by searching either.. Maybe because it's so new, also?

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:43 pm

azhawk08 wrote:LTF/jaliebs... when creating a FB group, you can choose if it is open, closed, or secret. below those options is a checkbox asking whether or not the group should show up in searches and networks. I'm guessing the box is unchecked right now? it's a pretty simple fix- jaliebs will just have to edit the group next time he logs on and check that little box.

sooooo I can't join the group yet, but at least I can stalk it! wow, facebook definitely takes creepiness to the next level. I love it.


The box is checked, and it has been since it was created. It's also an open group, so that shouldn't be the issue either. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do, any other help would certainly be appreciated.

azhawk, I hope you get in. We need some more Iowans to balance this apparent Texan invasion.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 pm

jaliebs wrote:
azhawk, I hope you get in. We need some more Iowans to balance this apparent Texan invasion.


Hey! :)

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:21 pm

longhornem wrote:
jaliebs wrote:
azhawk, I hope you get in. We need some more Iowans to balance this apparent Texan invasion.


Hey! :)


I'm happy to see all of you Texans wanting to go to ND, but we need some balance. Who else is going to teach all of you to eat corn or shovel your drive after that first 12" snow? Watching all of you this winter try to drive, walk and survive will provide some great comedy too.

User avatar
azhawk08
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby azhawk08 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:35 am

lol I hope I get in too... someone will need to take Em shopping for new winter boots!

...and on that note, University Park mall has grown exponentially better than when I first visited in 2003. It's insane.

seeyouincourt28
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby seeyouincourt28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:15 am

yeesh.. I had totally forgotten about the weather in Indiana...

Going to be quite the adjustment after spending my whole life in Texas... but MAN it would be worth it! :)

I guess this is really judgement week for the provisional listers!

AO

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:22 pm

azhawk08 wrote:lol I hope I get in too... someone will need to take Em shopping for new winter boots!


Wait...you mean I can't go around in ballet flats, high-heeled boots, and the occasional flip-flops in winter like I do in Texas? :shock: :shock: :shock:









:lol:

Seriously, though, all I have are some truly hideous ones I only wear when we go to Colorado for ski trips. I will also need a very big coat...I don't think my cute red wool peacoat is going to cut it.

jaliebs wrote:
I'm happy to see all of you Texans wanting to go to ND, but we need some balance. Who else is going to teach all of you to eat corn or shovel your drive after that first 12" snow? Watching all of you this winter try to drive, walk and survive will provide some great comedy too.


Hey now, I have only had two car accidents driving in icy weather, and only one of them was my fault (the other one was another Texan's lack of ice driving skills). :mrgreen:

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:52 pm

longhornem wrote:Hey now, I have only had two car accidents driving in icy weather, and only one of them was my fault (the other one was another Texan's lack of ice driving skills). :mrgreen:


Icy is fine. Just wait until lake effect snow. You'll go to bed with clear skies and wake up with a foot of snow on your car and the roads. Then you'll be calling all of the midwest people to dig you out ;).

Really, it's not that bad. There will be a lot of snow, but I was there at Christmas a couple years ago and we walked the dogs around the lake without coats. I'm sure you will be fine, but a good, warm coat and gloves will be very important. The student lot is at least a 10 minute, and that's close to a jog, walk from the law school. There is nothing quite like Midwest winds in January.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 am

jaliebs wrote:
longhornem wrote:Hey now, I have only had two car accidents driving in icy weather, and only one of them was my fault (the other one was another Texan's lack of ice driving skills). :mrgreen:


Icy is fine. Just wait until lake effect snow. You'll go to bed with clear skies and wake up with a foot of snow on your car and the roads. Then you'll be calling all of the midwest people to dig you out ;).

Really, it's not that bad. There will be a lot of snow, but I was there at Christmas a couple years ago and we walked the dogs around the lake without coats. I'm sure you will be fine, but a good, warm coat and gloves will be very important. The student lot is at least a 10 minute, and that's close to a jog, walk from the law school. There is nothing quite like Midwest winds in January.


Not that I've ever had to do it, but what's so hard about shoveling some snow? :) I have driven when there's snow everywhere (real snow in the mountains in Colorado, not like in Texas when we get an inch that doesn't stick and we freak out because "OMG OMG IT'S SNOWING!!! Are they canceling work and school?" :roll: ) and I think icy is much worse because you can suddenly lose control of the car (that's what happened to me in the accident that was my fault) if you hit a slick patch that you couldn't see. Snow seems fine in my limited experience.

seeyouincourt28
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby seeyouincourt28 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:07 am

jaliebs wrote:
longhornem wrote:Hey now, I have only had two car accidents driving in icy weather, and only one of them was my fault (the other one was another Texan's lack of ice driving skills). :mrgreen:


Icy is fine. Just wait until lake effect snow. You'll go to bed with clear skies and wake up with a foot of snow on your car and the roads. Then you'll be calling all of the midwest people to dig you out ;).

Really, it's not that bad. There will be a lot of snow, but I was there at Christmas a couple years ago and we walked the dogs around the lake without coats. I'm sure you will be fine, but a good, warm coat and gloves will be very important. The student lot is at least a 10 minute, and that's close to a jog, walk from the law school. There is nothing quite like Midwest winds in January.


hm.... I'm not used to cold weather at all (although this is one of the reasons I want to move out of Texas the MOST, to experience something completely different) so my question is this... is there any way to cover every inch of your body and still be able to functionally walk to class from said student lot??

kidding... mostly... but seriously?

AO




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest