University of Virginia School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
rayallen20

New

Re: University of Virginia School of Law 2011

Post by rayallen20 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:09 am

Waterman47 wrote:
Anyone here play basketball? If so, I would definitely love to get some pick-up games going when we all move in.
Hell yeah. I try to play as much basketball as my schedule allows. I haven't played that much in the last few months, but I'm hoping to start back up at UVA.

Sounds good!!! When do you move in?? Maybe we could get an intramural team together.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 am

Good seeing some of you last night and thanks to Wahoo for pulling it all together. See ya'll again soon.

On the computer note, I was going to get a new MacBook anyway. The price is pretty much the same no matter where you buy it. Places like MacMall run different deals so you get windows and parallels installed, but the computer will pretty much always be the same price (aside from the $100 educational discount). Basically, the MacBook they have is as good a deal as you're going to find if you were going to get one anyway.
And I'm not worried about them messing up installing stuff. Macs are fairly idiot proof.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 am

Last night was definitely fun :)

Am I the only one who is not buying a new laptop? I have a black Macbook that will be two years old by the time law school starts... and it still works beautifully. Any good reason to upgrade?

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 16, 2008 10:33 am

Not that I can see.

I have a 4-year old Powerbook that works just fine and could easily get me through 3 years of school. I just want a new toy that I can basically pay for with additional loans.

(Granted, my Mac can't run Windows, has a few quirks since I upgraded to Tiger, and lacks some of the cool stuff of new ones like iSight, etc., but it will make an excellent "house" computer for hooking up to the stereo filled with all of my music and for guests. So, if you find yourself at my house next year and want to check e-mail or show me that youtube video, don't touch the black MacBook! :P It also saves me the worry of having something happen to my computer. As long as I backup, I have a more than adequate replacement.)
Last edited by Da Stain on Fri May 16, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wahoo99

New

Post by Wahoo99 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:34 am

SgtBilko wrote:Good seeing some of you last night and thanks to Wahoo for pulling it all together. See ya'll again soon.

On the computer note, I was going to get a new MacBook anyway. The price is pretty much the same no matter where you buy it. Places like MacMall run different deals so you get windows and parallels installed, but the computer will pretty much always be the same price (aside from the $100 educational discount). Basically, the MacBook they have is as good a deal as you're going to find if you were going to get one anyway.
And I'm not worried about them messing up installing stuff. Macs are fairly idiot proof.
Absolutely. I'm glad the rain held off. Good times.

I've got my eye on that MacBook they're offering. Regarding vvv's warnings about incompetent staff at Cavalier Computers--I would still buy from CC if for no other reason than if the machine acts up on me I bring it to them and get an instant loaner.

Even if it takes them more than a day or two to fix things, I figure no biggie. The point is I get an immediate replacement I can take to class for note-taking. If you monitor the web enough you'll find that Mac for less $$ I'm sure, but you're also not getting this safety net.

Sialeeds: In your case, probably no reason to get a new one unless you want the option of a loaner in case of a mishap. I have a 2 year-old Lenovo with XP that works fine but it's not as compact as the MacBook and I think the Mac would be easier to tote to/from class every day. And I've been looking for an excuse to start using the Mac OS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 am

And I've been looking for an excuse to start using the Mac OS.
You can join much worse cults than CULT OF MAC.

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri May 16, 2008 11:30 am

I love my MacBook. It still boots in like 30 seconds, and it never crashes (except I finally had to stop using Firefox because it would crash, but Camino is basically the same thing). I'm never going back to pcs....

If I had things my way, I'd get one of those new iMacs and then get a MacBook Air as my portable computer. And an iPhone. :)

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Fri May 16, 2008 12:03 pm

I always liked the idea of iMac, having a legit desktop computer. But I'd just as soon buy one of those sweet 23" or 30" (!!!!) monitors they have for that money and hook up my laptop. Those things are a technophile's Mona Lisa.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 16, 2008 12:53 pm

That's crazy...I have dual 19inch monitors, though, and I love them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok, so I just got back from work and have a beer in my hand already . . . please tell me some of you are gonna party it up tonight?!

I'm startin to feel like the town drunk among you people

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri May 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Nevermind. *sigh* :|
Last edited by MissVirginia on Sun May 18, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Yeah! We'll see you there come August!

May I suggest that everyone switch to a self-tar so we can recognize each other? Otherwise we'll have to put our screen names on our name tags come orientation.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri May 16, 2008 6:21 pm

I look just like my avatar. Just ask J-Rod and Greygoose. ;-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 16, 2008 6:31 pm

MissVirginia wrote:I look just like my avatar. Just ask J-Rod and Greygoose. ;-)

Congrats!!

And it's true . . . she's a 50ft tall white woman from the 50's

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm

:|
Last edited by MissVirginia on Sun May 18, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm

OnceLost wrote:Yeah! We'll see you there come August!

May I suggest that everyone switch to a self-tar so we can recognize each other? Otherwise we'll have to put our screen names on our name tags come orientation.
Join the Facebook group to see people's pictures.

nipplehead

Bronze

Post by nipplehead » Fri May 16, 2008 7:42 pm

J-Rod wrote:Ok, so I just got back from work and have a beer in my hand already . . . please tell me some of you are gonna party it up tonight?!

i haven't been sober since last sunday and i don't expect to be sober until next monday, so don't feel too bad :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ejones60

New

Post by ejones60 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm confused. what is this about a hidden facebook group that requires an invitation? does that mean there are 2 UVA Law 2011 groups?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 16, 2008 8:13 pm

nipplehead wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Ok, so I just got back from work and have a beer in my hand already . . . please tell me some of you are gonna party it up tonight?!

i haven't been sober since last sunday and i don't expect to be sober until next monday, so don't feel too bad :D
This is why you need to live w/ me and Mike!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Fri May 16, 2008 8:50 pm

I can't find the facebook group.

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Fri May 16, 2008 8:58 pm

PM me your name and school, and I'll find you and invite you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sialeeds

Bronze

Post by sialeeds » Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Yay MissVirginia! I'm glad you chose UVA after a very, very tough decision. It'll be nice to finally meet you in the fall :)

About the UVA / TLS / 2011 facebook group, it is hidden so those who are not members cannot see who we are. PM either me, greygoose, j-rod, gladiator, cantwait, wells, or oldblue with your name (and your school if you don't have a common name), and we'll friend you so we can invite you to the group :)

OnceLost

Bronze

Post by OnceLost » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm

I don't even have a Facebook account...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri May 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Get one.

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Fri May 16, 2008 11:17 pm

sialeeds wrote:Yay MissVirginia! I'm glad you chose UVA after a very, very tough decision. It'll be nice to finally meet you in the fall :)

About the UVA / TLS / 2011 facebook group, it is hidden so those who are not members cannot see who we are. PM either me, greygoose, j-rod, gladiator, cantwait, wells, or oldblue with your name (and your school if you don't have a common name), and we'll friend you so we can invite you to the group :)
It seems like it would be easier to just get their e-mail. Wouldn't have to worry about common names. Just in case there's a William Smith UVa 2011 out there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”