Minnesota class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
drleather

New

Re: Minnesota class of 2011

Post by drleather » Fri May 02, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks!

I'll be moving in with my fiancee/wife, so ideally we'd live someplace that has a little extra room and we could forsee staying in for more than 1 or 2 years. Uptown sounds like it might work.

UMDMike

New

Post by UMDMike » Sat May 03, 2008 3:17 am

Hey Mike, how much were those studios?

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Sat May 03, 2008 11:58 pm

I payed my school deposit today. I still haven't withdrawn everywhere else, but I don't think any of the waitlists I'm on will draw me away from Minnesota. I'm pretty much decided.

The studios are kind of expensive for what you are getting.
$675-$700 (includes heat and water, doesn't include electric or cable/internet)
Underground heated parking is supposed to be $50 a month if you want it but that wasn't included on the lease they sent me so I'm going to call on monday and see if I can do that as well (I won't drive much but I'd like my car to be able to start in the middle of winter.) There is a lot there that is uncovered and is free for residents.

It is pretty expensive for how small they are- but the Grand Marc was worse- a one bedroom there was about $1200, while sharing a two bedroom was close to $900 a person. (plus another 100 bucks for covered parking) The Grand Marc does have washer dryers in each room (the studios have pay washers and dryers in a laundry room on each floor) and the Grand Marc is a bit closer- but it just doesn't seem worth that much Money.

If I really like the convenience of being that close I'll stay in the studios, but I'll also look around for other places in the city on a bus line. There's a chance I'll live in uptown for my 2L and 3L, but I'm not really too worried about that right now. The studios seem like a good enough deal to do for a year.

Amira

New

Post by Amira » Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 pm

I sent my deposit in to Minnesota and withdrew from Iowa this week.

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 am

That's fantastic!
My deposit went in on Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Wed May 07, 2008 1:51 am

dilongla wrote:Thanks for writing up your thoughts on the ASW Mike, and all the rest. It's quite helpful for me since I am living in another country now and won't be able to visit before making a decision. Can I just ask, overall, what impressed you most about the school at the ASW? Were there a fair amount of out-of-staters there? Did people seem to feel that the school is on the rise, despite the US News ranking change? I read they made some pretty good hires last year and that their Biglaw placement numbers are increasing. Also, was the new Dean there, David Wippman? If so, did anyone get a feeling for the course U of MN is charting and what kind of future the Dean has envisioned? Thanks everyone.
I just realized I never responded to this. I'm really sorry I didn't before.
There were a few things that really impressed me. The absence of an overly competitive environment was the thing that most stood out. People did seem genuinely nice, but also pretty happy with their job prospects.

People did feel the school is on the rise- the rankings drop was mentioned by a few different people I spoke with. Some seemed to feel it would be temporary- others mentioned it more as a joke- basically with the attitude that the school was good and provided good opportunities whether ranked 15 or 30 it wouldn't be much different- it's a couple steps behind being a truly top tier national school but well ahead of most regional schools. There was definitely discussion of the faculty hires by Dean Charles and that the trend would continue.
Dean Wippman was not there, but Dean Charles spoke about the schools plans to increase biglaw placement outside of Minnesota. It seems steps there are pretty aggressive and will be continued with the new Dean.
The school as a whole (outside of just the law school) has made it a priority to take steps to improve in quality, reputation and ranking and it seems the law school has pretty specific things they are doing to accomplish this that will be expanded upon with the new dean. It seems like more than just hot air since firms at OCI have increased the last couple years and they have a goal to continue to increase the number of firms there, especially out of state firms.

wheretoattend

New

Post by wheretoattend » Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 am

Hey guys~
First time posting on TLS, but I've been long fan of TLS and appreciating all the inputs you guys have been giving to newbies like myself =)
Well to make a long story short, I'm in one of those full sticker T1 (I've narrowed it down to Minnesota) vs. Loyola Law School ($18K annual) debate.......
I've been living in So Cal all my life and would like to start a career here, although certainly not set in stone..... and I know job prospects are good and portable (to either coasts) for UMN as long as you finish in top ~15% of class, but what about mid level? Realistically, would finishing around 50% of your class at UMN provide me with better prospects for a decent job than LLS? Would this justify me paying full sticker + living expenses at UMN? What would you guys do?
I have been going back and forth, back and forth and this is really driving me crazy like you wouldn't believe =(

I thank you all in advance for your input and time.

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Sat May 10, 2008 1:46 am

That's REALLY tough.
I personally would go to Minnesota. The placement data Cioli looked at showed Minnesota as placing better on the west coast than Loyola does.
Top 15% at either school should give you decent options in SOCAL (probably more like top ten at Loyola)
Graduating right in the middle or below at either school means you are going to have a very tough time in SoCal. The thing is, Loyola grads don't really have anywhere else to go. A Minnesota grad right at the middle might not get a job in LA or San Diego- but they'll get a job.

Overall employment options are much better from Minnesota- definitely worth the cost difference. But, options for west coast employment are only a bit better from Minnesota. So, if you absolutely have to work in SoCal Minnesota may not be worth it. But if you really want to work in SoCal but are willing to work elsewhere if it means getting a good job then Minnesota probably is.

I'd certainly say to ask Minnesota for some money. If the cost difference is what's keeping you away you should let them know. (Oh and cost of living in the Twin Cities isn't super cheap- but it's MUCH cheaper than LA)

wheretoattend

New

Post by wheretoattend » Sat May 10, 2008 1:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply Oklahoma..

I don't HAVE to work/stay in So Cal.... just a preference and I certainly am open to anything future brings =)

ultimately, I guess I am torn between the worst possible scenarios....... $150k diploma that might not pay for itself or on the other hand a diploma that might not be worth the paper its printed on.... =(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Sat May 10, 2008 2:12 am

Yeah, it's a really tough choice. Minnesota is one of those schools right on the cusp of not being worth the sticker price. (Though I was certainly close to paying sticker before they gave me some money)

So, Minnesota with tuition an cost of living is going to run you about 50K a year. So, your debt will probably be about 150K. (Though a good 2L job would cut that down by about 20K) Loyola will probably run about 35-40K a year. (18K in tuition and around 20K living expenses- the 50K for Minnesota assumes 15K expenses there) So 110-120K a year for Loyola. (Which could also be knocked down with a good 2L job- though your chances of getting one are smaller there than at UofM)

I think both debt loads are pretty staggering to look at and sadly somewhat risky. The question isn't really just "Is Minnesota worth 150 grand?" but really "Is Minnesota worth 30 grand more than Loyola?"

I think when you ask the second question it really depends on your priorities and preferences (like how much you hate the cold) but it seems hard to see a situation where Minnesota wouldn't be worth 30K more than Loyola.

Ask Minnesota for some money- if they can give you 5 to 10 grand a year it pretty much gets rid of the difference. Even if they can't give you some money to match I think Minnesota is the much better choice.

UMDMike

New

Post by UMDMike » Sun May 11, 2008 3:25 pm

When are people planning on quitting jobs/moving to Minneapolis?

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Sun May 11, 2008 5:46 pm

My lease doesn't start until middle of August. Now that I look at that I think I would have rather come up earlier- but eh, whatever. I'll have just enough time to go buy some furniture before school starts. I think I'll try to catch some stuff at local theatres and explore the twin cities area a little bit during that first couple of weeks since I doubt there will be much time for that once school starts.

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Mon May 12, 2008 12:06 pm

August 15th will be my last day at work (don't tell anyone!).

We'll probably move during the following week, maybe on the 20th or so. Get up to Minny around the 24th, take 5-6 days to set up shop, and then dive in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigshoulders

New

Post by bigshoulders » Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 pm

When do classes/does orientation start at Minnesota this year?

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Orientation is during the last week of August (I think starting Wednesday)
The first day of class is Tuesday September 2nd.

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Thu May 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, up to nine of us now. We're collecting quite the group of TLSers, and I know there are a few hanging around who may end up there in the fall- either they are waitlisted or they are still not decided.

I definitely think we ought to see about going and grabbing a meal just before school starts- seeing which sections everyone is in and if any of us want to be in a study group (study groups) together.

steven211

New

Post by steven211 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:38 am

Hi all
I am probably coming, too.
Look forward to meet you all!

Steven

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigshoulders

New

Post by bigshoulders » Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Make that 10 -- you can add me to the list of future Mildly Belligerent Mondales. If you'd told me a year ago that I would ever move to the coldest major metro area in the U.S. (from what must be the second-coldest), I'd have laughed....

The idea of a pre-orientation dinner or beer or something along those lines sounds good. Is anyone moving to U of M from Chicago who might be interested in sharing a U-Haul?

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Mon May 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Where's everyone living? Initially I was looking at Uptown, but I think closer to campus might be better for 1L.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Mon May 19, 2008 4:08 pm

drleather wrote:Where's everyone living? Initially I was looking at Uptown, but I think closer to campus might be better for 1L.
Congrats, Drleather! Did you get off a waitlist or apply/get in at the last minute?

Oklahoma Mike

Bronze

Post by Oklahoma Mike » Mon May 19, 2008 4:38 pm

bigshoulders, I'll be driving past Chicago, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to load up my parents minivan to drive up there and then head back to Michigan sometime later to trade my parents for my little car. I'm going to be in such a small space I don't think I'll have room for much, so I won't be taking that much with me.

For housing, as I mentioned before, I'm going to be living in a tiny studio in close walking distance.
--LinkRemoved--

Gran Marc is right across the street from the school- it was nice but quite pricey. There also seems to be a bit mroe of a party vibe there than I really wanted. It has almost a high end dorm feel- with many of the units being where you lease your individual room and share a living room and kitchen with other room mates you may not know before hand.
--LinkRemoved--

About 2/3 a mile from school are a few giant concrete buildings that are pretty cheap for the space. They don't have many students living there at all, and it looks like about 80%+ of the residents are on some sort of housing assistance. These buildings and the area right around them make a lot of people look at it as a "bad area" but it's actually not. Talking to the manager of the apartments where I'm living he said that almost everyone living in those huge apartments are Somali immigrants- it seems dangerous because there are a lot of poor people there but it's actually quite safe. Most of the residents keep to themselves and are pretty respectful. The big benefit there is that it is pretty darn cheap. Downside is there are less amenities and a main leasing office that's only open a couple days a week.
--LinkRemoved--

The seven corners are also very close to campus- and much less dorm like seeming than Gran Marc. They are also quite a bit cheaper than Gran Marc, and a little cheaper than where I'm living. The problem is they have a waitlist that is already pretty full. But, if you want you could call them and see how many are on the waitlist and if you could get put on there.
http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx? ... &srt3=0.71

Karinsplass looked very nice from the outside and are only about half a mile from the law school (they are at the south end of the westbank campus) Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the units while I was in town- but if you call ahead you may be able to
--LinkRemoved--

I made a number of bookmarks on delicious, some of which have expired by now (craigslist postings)
http://del.icio.us/oklahomamike/housing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigshoulders

New

Post by bigshoulders » Mon May 19, 2008 4:52 pm

I suspect I'll end up in Prospect Park (I have friends in the area who claim they'll be able to find something for me locally) or Uptown. I don't mind a little bit of a commute if it means I can avoid living in a brutalist concrete box; I'd prefer a nicer place on a bus line, even if it's two or three miles from campus.

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Kompressor wrote:
drleather wrote:Where's everyone living? Initially I was looking at Uptown, but I think closer to campus might be better for 1L.
Congrats, Drleather! Did you get off a waitlist or apply/get in at the last minute?
Thanks!

I got in a few weeks ago. I applied at the last minute when they extended their deadline. After they matched my scholarship from another school, my fiancee and I decided to take a chance on Minnesota!

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Mon May 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Also, if anyone else can post links to decent apartment complexes in Uptown or otherwise, it would be much appreciated. Not sure if I'll get a chance to visit again, so some first-hand info would be really helpful.

mplsdbc

New

Post by mplsdbc » Thu May 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Still on the waitlist.....

Don't have a user id and password to access the status checker........

Admissions office is bad at returning phone calls and emails......

It's not looking good. My numbers are good enough to get in off the waitlist, so I'm still holding out a bit of hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”