New GI Bill Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Cole S. Law

Bronze

Re: New GI Bill

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 am

dapoetic1 wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:Got my certificate of eligibility...for 60%!!!???!!! Now I have to file an appeal. Not sure how they came up with 60%. I have 4 years of qualifying active duty service. Starting to get frustrated. :?
Hey sorry to hear about the screw up? Do you think there is anyway they could've mixed something up? Any breaks in service time, cross branches....anything you can think of???
I'm with Rotor the eligibility percentage is seriously about the easiest thing you have to figure out 3 years after 9-11=100% This doesn't give me a lot of hope.

I applied May 1 got the "Don't call us" letter and haven't received anything else. I'm getting a little worried since I was thinking sending a letter that says you qualify for full benefits should be fairly cut-n-dry--or so I thought.
Let us know how it turns out.

Slightly off topic--Does anyone know if you do qualify for full benefits and your school isn't doing Yellow Ribbon if they will deduct the amount of mone you can take in Stafford Loans by the amount of your GI Bill payments.

Ex. Tuition only is $20,000 (not including full cost of attendance, fees, R&B). You are given the full stafford amount of $20,500 which leave just the $500 left. You qualify for $5,000 in GI Bill payments. Will they limit the amount of stafford loans by $5,000 to $15,500? Or do you get the full amount of Stafford Loans applied to your bill, and then the GI Bill payments applied leaving you with an overage (to be refunded back to you).
I asked the VA rep at my school this question and she was not 100% sure. She thought you would keep the full loan amounts and then get the credit.

I'm not sure how they came up with 60%. Typo is my current theory. The certificate of eligibility states "1570 days of qualifying service....60% benefit level". There were no breaks in service or anything wierd like that. I sent my appeal yesterday. I'll update when they get back to me.

I hope this gets sorted out. I need that money to live on.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Rotor wrote:I agree with NC, it has to do with COA, but I think that only get measured against your EFC from your FAFSA. I don't think they offset for other scholarships, so why GI Bill? (a grant where tuition itself is lowered and thence COA would be different)

Anyone else have something definitive?
This is kind of what I was thinking. Right now my EFC is about $7k so I'm assuming if the GI Bil kicks in money that should be credited towards how much I was expected to contribute anyway and any additional money I get from a loan should just remin as it. I mean...they do ask if I'm receiving veterns benefits on the form so surely this is taken into account when they loaned me the money to begin with.
I hate when I'm not sure if logic will prevail. All of these years of being in the military and fighting "The War Against Common Sense" has made me slightly jaded.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm

dapoetic1 wrote: Slightly off topic--Does anyone know if you do qualify for full benefits and your school isn't doing Yellow Ribbon if they will deduct the amount of mone you can take in Stafford Loans by the amount of your GI Bill payments.

Ex. Tuition only is $20,000 (not including full cost of attendance, fees, R&B). You are given the full stafford amount of $20,500 which leave just the $500 left. You qualify for $5,000 in GI Bill payments. Will they limit the amount of stafford loans by $5,000 to $15,500? Or do you get the full amount of Stafford Loans applied to your bill, and then the GI Bill payments applied leaving you with an overage (to be refunded back to you).
I asked the VA rep at my school this question and she was not 100% sure. She thought you would keep the full loan amounts and then get the credit.
dapoetic1: I just had my financial aid summary change as a result of the pending credit from VA. The basic form on the website showed a decrease in my financial need from Gross (COA-EFC) to Net (COA-EFC-Addl FinAid)

Since the net would have been below the max subsidized Stafford allowed, I wrote and asked if I would be limited in the amount of subsidized Stafford I'd be allowed to take. Here was the finaid office's reply
Actually, your veterans benefit is not being considered against your need as defined by DoED. You are still eligible to receive the full amount of need based loan, the subsidized loan. In most cases, there will not be a change in eligibility because most Vet Benefits are not to be counted as a resource against Title IV funds.

Reading between the lines, I think she's also saying that Berkeley will consider the GI Bill when determining their own need based grants, but they can't count it against Stafford (Title IV) funds. (Edit: but you can be darned sure I'm keeping that email in case someone else tries to say I can't get the full subsidized Stafford because of my net need...)

Sounds like good news for us all (at least "in most cases", as she says)

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:14 pm

@Rotor--thanks so much!!! That is extremely helpful. I was positive I remembered reading that veterans benefits were not allowed to be used against you for need based aid. Now at least I have a place to start in the event that something changes in my finaid.
But I just got a note letter from finaid and they didn't mention any decrease or changes so it looks like I'm good!!
Thanks again

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 pm

So I noticed some of the state tuition rates went up this month... and a few went down :shock:

Florida's has not been released yet for next school year, hoping it goes up some!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:So I noticed some of the state tuition rates went up this month... and a few went down :shock:

Florida's has not been released yet for next school year, hoping it goes up some!
Ummmm....the number for my state is now blank. Should I be worried?
Well if anything I hope they realize that they can get more money out of VA if they dig deeper into some of their undergrad programs and come up with a higher number.
::crosses fingers for a higher per credit max::

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Quick question all: I live within reasonable driving distance of another state. I presume that I will still have to pay out-of-state tuition rates if I commute there, right?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:17 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:Quick question all: I live within reasonable driving distance of another state. I presume that I will still have to pay out-of-state tuition rates if I commute there, right?
That really depends on the school to make that determination-- but for each of the publics I looked into during my cycle (in California & Virginia), your situation would not be considered in-state (at least not without some major contortions to prove your intent to remain a resident.

Sorry...

Would it be worth your while to find a small apartment to have an address in state? ($1000 rent x 12 months = $12K and that's probably close to the OOS "premium". Find a cheaper apartment and you save even more...)

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Rotor wrote:
bumblebeetoona wrote:Quick question all: I live within reasonable driving distance of another state. I presume that I will still have to pay out-of-state tuition rates if I commute there, right?
That really depends on the school to make that determination-- but for each of the publics I looked into during my cycle (in California & Virginia), your situation would not be considered in-state (at least not without some major contortions to prove your intent to remain a resident.

Sorry...

Would it be worth your while to find a small apartment to have an address in state? ($1000 rent x 12 months = $12K and that's probably close to the OOS "premium". Find a cheaper apartment and you save even more...)
Oh no, definitely not possible. I own a home and can't move anyway. Husband must live within a certain number of miles from work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Not impossible...but may require some work on your part.
Check out this site
http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/stateresidency.phtml

A lot of schools in New England recognize residents of neighboring states. UConn for example will grant instate to people from bordering states.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 am

Check with your target school. Many states have an exchange program for people living in counties adjacent to the state line. I know Ohio has agreements giving people in Northern Kentucky and Western PA in-state tuition at the state schools within commuting distance of the border. In exchange, Ohians get similar treatment at nearby KY and PA state schools.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:23 am

bumblebeetoona wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Sorry...

Oh no, definitely not possible. I own a home and can't move anyway. Husband must live within a certain number of miles from work.
You could run on okie doke with someone instate. You could be an absentee roomate. Contribute $100/month for a mailing address. Just sayin' :wink:

Also google your target state and "veteran's tuition". Ohio offers all vets instate. I don't know if they're the only state that does this.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 am

dapoetic1 wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:So I noticed some of the state tuition rates went up this month... and a few went down :shock:

Ummmm....the number for my state is now blank. Should I be worried?
Well if anything I hope they realize that they can get more money out of VA if they dig deeper into some of their undergrad programs and come up with a higher number.
::crosses fingers for a higher per credit max::
I wouldn't be worried. Most (like 90%) of the states went up or stayed the same, and the few that went down only did a little bit...
The old numbers were apparently based on last year's tution, so theoretically they should all go up a little.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Anybody else still waiting on their eligibility letter? This is cutting it kind of close. OH well.

So tell me what you guys think about this.
Last year (2008-2009) The College of New Jersey (hereafter known as CoNJ) was the 'most expensive public school in the state' and thus determined the max per credit hour charge.
If you look at the CoNJ past tuition rates you'll see that in 2008-9 they were on a wierd kind of credit system. They called them units and anybody that had at least 3 units was considered full time. Although, any typical undergrad class like a Biology lecture or lab was a full 1 unit. The only classes that were less than 1 unit were independent study classes and they were.25 or .50 units.

So the per credit hour charge initially for 1 unit was a little over $430 and then they added on all kinds of other mandatory fees.

Here's the kicker!! This year the charge for taking just 1 credit is now over $1200 (up from the $430). I've notice on the VA website the max per credit charge for NJ has yet to be added back to the updated list
So I'm thinking--Is it possible that based on the CoNJ's new tuition hikes that NJ tuition rates could now be more than $1200/credit :?: :?: :?:
I know that technically they've got to raise the rate IAW the statutes that govern the GI Bill. But has anyone ever seen a school go from a rate of $400/credit to $1200/credit in one year? Their students have got to be livid!
I'm really trying not to get too hopeful, but all the signs are pointing to a major increase. The overall tuition for the CoNJ is more than $12000 compared to the previous $6500.

Somebody talk some sense into me and help bring me back into a more realistic situation.

p.s.-I realize I can just wait it out and see what the new rate will be for NJ. But that's too easy and too hard at the same time.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Ok---I've done a little more research.
I think maybe I've figured this out.
CoNJ doesn't allow more than 16 units or 64 semester hours of transfer credits. Therefore 1 unit=4 semsester hours.
So the 1 unit that they charge is probably equal to 4 credits at other schools, and thus .25 units is really the 1 semester hours.
The .25 unit charge is about $470 which seems much more realistic
Not that I'm happy that I'm not getting $1200/credit but I was more worried that I was getting excited over nothing and that seems to be the case.

Thanks for all you guys help :lol: :lol: :lol:

babyt8_99

New

Post by babyt8_99 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 am

dapoetic1 wrote:Anybody else still waiting on their eligibility letter? This is cutting it kind of close. OH well.

I'm still waiting on my LOE!!! I was really hoping I wasn't the only one. I got the we downloaded your application email but that's it!!

AndyB617

New

Post by AndyB617 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 am

ok, so i've given my certificate of eligibility to my school official. what do i do now? do i have to verify my enrollment? does the school take care of this? when and how do we get our first BAH check?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

babyt8_99

New

Post by babyt8_99 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 am

AndyB617 wrote:ok, so i've given my certificate of eligibility to my school official. what do i do now? do i have to verify my enrollment? does the school take care of this? when and how do we get our first BAH check?

It really depends on your school. Mine requires me to take a form to the School of Law and have them sign off on it. Then the school official files everything.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Cole S. Law wrote: Also google your target state and "veteran's tuition". Ohio offers all vets instate. I don't know if they're the only state that does this.
Some friends and I did some lobbying last session, and Iowa does now too, although they altered our bill at the last minute to apply only to UG. :evil:

Little help for prospective law students I realize, but we're going to try and get it amended next session. The UI Provost wants to increase enrollment and one of the assistant provosts is passionate about vets benefits (he left a leg in Vietnam) so we're hoping to have their clout to assist us.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Did anyone else get the call "on behalf of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs?" I guess they're calling all combat vets to see if we need any assistance or have any questions about our benefits? Nice gesture. I asked the rep who called me about my GI Bill %. Unfortunately the education section is seperate :?: :?: from her section? She said that she was able to start a case with the VA education people to get some action. Hope that helps.

Here's a nifty piece of bureaucratic nonsense. My ankle was crushed in a vehicle rollover following an IED explosion. The Army discharged me for disability and the VA has also done their investigation and determined a service-connected disability percentage for me. This is why I should be getting 100% GI Bill no questions asked. Somehow the VA people who determine the disabilty stuff are not connected to the VA people who do anything else. The combat advocate who called said her records indicated no disability rating, and that I have to take my % letter to my VA medical center for them to enter it into their records (this despite the fact that they've been treating me for this condition for 6 months). This probably explains the mistake RE: my GI Bill percentage. If any of you are called to testify before Congress on VA matters, be sure to mention that they should centralize their databases so disability, education, etc all know what is going on with each other. I guess it could be worse. I could have AIDS from a VA colonoscopy.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30393010/

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:12 am

I got into an exchange with Joe Biden (the TLS poster not the VP). When I proved him wrong a couple of times, he called me out for being a 0L and a vet. I'm not ashamed of either. I hardly feel out of place being a 0L on a message board that deals primarily with the LSAT, law school admissions, and other 0L issues. I found the veteran slur very odd. I'm proud to be a vet. I know that I'm infinitely more disciplined and have a better perspective on life now that I've had my military experience.

Do any of you think that the common perception of vets is that we are admitted based on some preference rather than qualification? My experience with this poster tells me that anything he says is misguided and wrong. I'm not concerned about what my fellow students think of me. When I grade onto Law Review, they can chalk that up to a veteran's preference as well if it makes them feel better. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.
Joe Biden wrote:You have got to be a cocky 0L. The only way you can be this stupid and figured out how to use the Internet is you must be Navy trained. The Navy takes even the biggest retards and helps them figure out how to access an internet website. That is probably how you plan on attending People's Choice College of Law, preferential admission for Vets. If you aren't a Vet and a 0L I will shoot myself now.
Joe Biden wrote:Again, you must be a 0L and former Navy guy. If you aren't a 0L Vet, I will eat a pile of dog crap. You have 0L Vet written all over your posts. The military is able to do an excellent job training retards to access internet web sites, and then get them into law school using veteran preference status.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AndyB617

New

Post by AndyB617 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am

wow. what a douche bag. the sad thing is, his vote counts just as much as yours and mine. God help us.

illmal

New

Post by illmal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by illmal on Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 am

Do any of you think that the common perception of vets is that we are admitted based on some preference rather than qualification?
I dunno. Most fellow applicants I have discussed it with understand that we don't have any kind of URM-style boost (which seems to be what Joe is suggesting). And if any 1L's feel I was admitted unduly thanks to being a veteran, I'll happily show them my >75% LSAT score and my collection of rejection letters from reach schools.

If anything, what got me admitted was being a resident of the state I'm attending in, combined with a 50% resident quota and a cycle where only 24% of applicants were residents.

edit: quotefail

babyt8_99

New

Post by babyt8_99 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Goes to show how people who live in a coccoon of ignorance provided by the sacrifices of a few will forever hold a superiority complex that serves to show their lack of fortitude. In other words: Stupid is as stupid says!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”