First Time FAFSA Filer Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Jamdung

New

First Time FAFSA Filer

Post by Jamdung » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first time filing for FAFSA. I read through some post here and still have a question or two.

1. How many people will be in college? I put 2 because both my mom and I will be in school, but is this question specific to law school?

2. The on-campus/off campus thing. I really am not sure what I will do. In the end, I will choose the cheaper one, which may be off campus. Should I choose that or is there an advantage to selecting "on campus?"

3. Is there any benefit to providing parental information? I am classified as independent but I do live with one parent.

Thanks for any info. you can provide!

Tr3

Silver

Re: First Time FAFSA Filer

Post by Tr3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Jamdung wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first time filing for FAFSA. I read through some post here and still have a question or two.

1. How many people will be in college? I put 2 because both my mom and I will be in school, but is this question specific to law school?

2. The on-campus/off campus thing. I really am not sure what I will do. In the end, I will choose the cheaper one, which may be off campus. Should I choose that or is there an advantage to selecting "on campus?"

3. Is there any benefit to providing parental information? I am classified as independent but I do live with one parent.

Thanks for any info. you can provide!
1. Not specific to law school
2. I typically advise (undergrads) to select on-campus if there is even a chance they would consider it. fin aid will make adjustments later if you end up living off campus.
3. No benefit. If you are indeed independent, then just add your own info. Just make sure you don't need to include your parent's info.

Jamdung

New

Post by Jamdung » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks! This is helpful!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Follow up - what schools in the T14 require parent information in FAFSA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”