Deferred Admit to t10 Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
UMich11

Bronze

Deferred Admit to t10

Post by UMich11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 am

I've been granted deferred admissions to a t-10 with sub stellar stats, so i have no scholarship. If i retake the LSAT and knock it out of the park, think they will give me some love? I have nothing to lose, i'm already admitted. Only downside is i kill myself for another few months on this test.

trojandave

Bronze

Re: Deferred Admit to t10

Post by trojandave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Doubtful they have any scholarship money left this late in the game... For applying next year it may help. This year? My guess is no... But the best people to ask are in the admissions office. Like you said, you have nothing to lose. Call, and in a nice way, ask about financial aid. When they say no, ask if an October LSAT jump would change that

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm

trojandave wrote:Doubtful they have any scholarship money left this late in the game... For applying next year it may help. This year? My guess is no... But the best people to ask are in the admissions office. Like you said, you have nothing to lose. Call, and in a nice way, ask about financial aid. When they say no, ask if an October LSAT jump would change that
Already did and waiting on a response, FinAid director is out of the office. I won't attend until next summer (june 2014) and they said my award will be based on this year, and then reevaluated upward, if deemed so (not downward), at the start of next year. but with my sub median stats i figured a higher LSAT may give me at least some playing around money. I realize they don't have an incentive since i cannot ditch to go to another school - lets say it's a miracle and hit a 178 (no chance in hell). I can't all of a sudden drop it and go to HSY, but still.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm

UMich11 wrote:
trojandave wrote:Doubtful they have any scholarship money left this late in the game... For applying next year it may help. This year? My guess is no... But the best people to ask are in the admissions office. Like you said, you have nothing to lose. Call, and in a nice way, ask about financial aid. When they say no, ask if an October LSAT jump would change that
Already did and waiting on a response, FinAid director is out of the office. I won't attend until next summer (june 2014) and they said my award will be based on this year, and then reevaluated upward, if deemed so (not downward), at the start of next year. but with my sub median stats i figured a higher LSAT may give me at least some playing around money. I realize they don't have an incentive since i cannot ditch to go to another school - lets say it's a miracle and hit a 178 (no chance in hell). I can't all of a sudden drop it and go to HSY, but still.
I assume this is Michigan... Why would they lock you in for summer 2014?! That's absurd. They usually take fall applicants and offer the summer, they shouldn't lock you in early. If I understand you correctly, this is essentially early decision, and you have no leverage and should not expect much aid. You have this whole fall to reapply to new places with your new LSAT score. I'd say do it. If your score is great, use this time to get other offers and more importantly, get some negotiating leverage.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

I Used to Be a Spy

New

Post by I Used to Be a Spy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 pm

I had a similar situation PM for details.

bouleversement

Bronze

Post by bouleversement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Regulus wrote:
UMich11 wrote:I've been granted deferred admissions to a t-10 T14 with sub stellar stats, so i have no scholarship. If i retake the LSAT and knock it out of the park, think they will give me some love? I have nothing to lose, i'm already admitted. Only downside is i kill myself for another few months on this test.
FTFY
Isn't it number #9 in the latest rankings?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 am

bouleversement wrote:
Regulus wrote:
UMich11 wrote:I've been granted deferred admissions to a t-10 T14 with sub stellar stats, so i have no scholarship. If i retake the LSAT and knock it out of the park, think they will give me some love? I have nothing to lose, i'm already admitted. Only downside is i kill myself for another few months on this test.
FTFY
His point is that T10 is a meaningless distinction that no one makes. It's not a proxy for employment prospects (ex: Michigan's vault/A3 placement is far below that of NU and Duke)

bouleversement

Bronze

Post by bouleversement » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 pm

mr.hands wrote:
bouleversement wrote:
Regulus wrote:
FTFY
His point is that T10 is a meaningless distinction that no one makes. It's not a proxy for employment prospects (ex: Michigan's vault/A3 placement is far below that of NU and Duke)
Ah, thanks for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”