How valuable is it to you?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Young Marino

How valuable is it to you?

Postby Young Marino » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Just wondering what TLS thinks of what an appropriate amount of money to be borrowed for a JD. With the average student graduating with around $130k in student loan debt, how much debt is actually worth the investment? I think we can all agree that $100k in debt is acceptable in few cases involving tier 1 schools. But outside of that, how much is the value of a TT-TTTT JD worth to you? Anything less than $45k depending on how strong of a regional reputation a given school has? Maybe none at all? I'd like to hear what you all think of this...

phillywc

Re: How valuable is it to you?

Postby phillywc » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 pm

No possible answer. 100% depends on the schools and your particular goals/circumstances.

Most TTTs I wouldn't go to for much more then 50k even if I did want to live in that region and it was a decent regional school.

nickb285

Re: How valuable is it to you?

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm

phillywc wrote:No possible answer. 100% depends on the schools and your particular goals/circumstances.

TITCR. Just for a personal example, I was prepared to go to a strong regional school for $45-75k (conditionally renewable scholarship) total COA, though $75k was toward the upper end of what I'd want to pay for a strong regional. However, I recently discovered I may be able to go lower T14 for just over $100k, which to me seems like a better deal even though it's objectively more money.

Return to “Financial Aid”