Negotiating as a 2L for money Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
j.hill86x

New

Negotiating as a 2L for money

Post by j.hill86x » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Suppose you got no money as a 1L from your school, and then went on to be, say, top 2% in your class. Anyone have anecdotal information on these kinds of situations? Particularly at a top law school?

KD35

Silver

Re: Negotiating as a 2L for money

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm

j.hill86x wrote:Suppose you got no money as a 1L from your school, and then went on to be, say, top 2% in your class. Anyone have anecdotal information on these kinds of situations? Particularly at a top law school?
If you applied to transfer up to another school, you can use that as leverage for money to your current school. Other than that, you can hope the school would give you more money out of good faith, but I wouldn't plan on it.

j.hill86x

New

Post by j.hill86x » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Recommend going through that app. process just for the leverage? Any stories about that actually working?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Some schools have internal competitions for additional scholarships (only open to rising 2Ls and 3Ls) - or at least, my school did (usually named in honor of past students/faculty/alumni). Many of those are merit-based, so 2% would probably get you something. However, they're not always very much money (e.g. a couple thousand bucks). That's the only thing I know of, apart from the transferring thing.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

j.hill86x wrote:Recommend going through that app. process just for the leverage? Any stories about that actually working?
I'm sure there are, but I think each school has a different policy on increasing aid...so you would need to find someone from the same/similar school as yours to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 pm

j.hill86x wrote:Recommend going through that app. process just for the leverage? Any stories about that actually working?
If you're asking whether 5 hours and $500 bucks or so is worth a very good chance that you will save upwards of $60,000, the answer is yes.

j.hill86x

New

Post by j.hill86x » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 pm

seespotrun wrote:
If you're asking whether 5 hours and $500 bucks or so is worth a very good chance that you will save upwards of $60,000, the answer is yes.
$60,000??? and IS IT a good chance? Or are you really just awkwardly burning through recommendations from professors who know you best (for the transfer process) to get what is still a likely denial from the financial aid department?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”