Negotiating more money in scholarships

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Negotiating more money in scholarships

Postby Younks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Howdy everyone,

I'm currently 2 points on the LSAT (158) below what my prospective law school gives a full ride at. It is a lower ranked school (SIU), but I have legal industry connections and friends down there, would consider living in the area, yadayadayada, BUT I would really like a full ride.

With my current scholarship offer, I would end up paying $6,000 a year in tuition (not bad) compared to about an estimated $20,000 at Kent. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how I should go about negotiating a full ride from them, using scholarship offers from other, higher-ranked schools without sounding like a dick. I've read it's a down application year across the board, so I figure a less known school in the middle of a minor market will probably see fewer applications as well improving my chances. I just need to go about it in a reasonable manner.

I think that's enough information - any thoughts? (besides a retake)

Re: Negotiating more money in scholarships

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Maybe you could send them an e-mail, and ask them if they would consider increasing your aid if you scored at/above median on the December test. Tell them you heard it was customary to attach offers from peer schools in the e-mail and do that. Maybe they will respond with an increase w/o requiring a re-take. Either way, you'll get some sort of answer. : )

Return to “Financial Aid”