How difficult is establishing residency? - UCLA Law

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:30 pm

How difficult is establishing residency? - UCLA Law

Postby anne922 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm


I am originally from Arizona, but have lived in CA since 2007. I moved here for college where I attended a private university so residency didn't matter. I have never moved back to AZ, held multiple paid internships/part-time jobs in CA, filed taxes in CA, etc. I have an Arizona driver's license, but just switched my voter's registration to CA. I pay rent in CA, and currently am not enrolled in school and haven't been since Dec 2010, so I've been living here for some time without educational purposes.

I don't know much about establishing residency for tuition purposes in CA, but UCLA has last minute wanted to interview me. Is there ANY chance I could get in-state tuition, especially this late in the game?

Any tips/advice/past experience would be greatly appreciated. Also, please feel free to PM.


User avatar

Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: How difficult is establishing residency? - UCLA Law

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Sounds like you are a resident of California. Do you have any documents with your name and california residence on it (See evidence below)? Also I am just going to directly quote an article on TLS that might be useful:

CALIFORNIA: California is home to five of the top 50 law schools, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Hastings, and UC Davis, and UC Irvine. The good news is that unlike some states, which make it notoriously difficult for students to achieve residency, California makes in-state tuition available to students in their second year. However, there are a few caveats. First of all, the individual petitioning for residency must reside continuously in the state of California for one year. This means no spending summers back home if home is not located within Golden State. You must have been in the state for one full year prior to the first day of classes, so arrive before classes start. Students must also furnish evidence that they intend to make CA their home for the long haul, including the signing of a "long term" lease, a CA income tax return, registering to vote in CA elections, getting a CA drivers license or state ID, and/or registering your car in California. Additionally, if your parents do not live in CA, then they cannot have claimed you as a dependent on their tax returns for the year prior to your petitioning for in-state tuition (the year in which you attend school). Residency is granted when these procedures are followed, making UC law schools cheaper in their final two years.

Return to “Financial Aid�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests