do schools ever require bank statements for verification?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
horrorbusiness

do schools ever require bank statements for verification?

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:28 am

in determining eligibility for need-based institutional aid, i've been asked a few times the balance of my parent's bank accounts. she's extremely hesitant to furnish these types of records because she's paranoid/feels its invasive - do schools ever go to the length of asking for them?

also, do schools typically take the FAFSA and need-access applications on your word? at this point it seems the only verification they ask for are copies of student and parent tax returns. will they ask for anything else?

i hope this doesn't sound shady - i've already submitted both the FAFSA and need-access and have just had a really tough time prying the information from my parent. thanks.

splitbrain

Re: do schools ever require bank statements for verification?

Postby splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I think people get randomly picked for verification (with tax forms) but beyond that, I don't believe there's any sort of audit that gets more invasive. I know I am undergoing a verification at one of my schools and it's just regarding income.

I haven't been able to find anything that says you would have to verify your own nor your parents' assets.

Edit: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006050426916 The respondant here claims to be a Financial Aid Director and stops just short of stating that there is no asset verification.

Return to “Financial Aid”