February 15 Deadline? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
emkay625

Gold

February 15 Deadline?

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Due to some emergency medical issues, my parents are not going to be able to get their taxes done until next week. This is past the February 15 deadline for Vanderbilt's financial aid. Am I screwed?

suits00

Bronze

Re: February 15 Deadline?

Post by suits00 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

emkay625 wrote:Due to some emergency medical issues, my parents are not going to be able to get their taxes done until next week. This is past the February 15 deadline for Vanderbilt's financial aid. Am I screwed?
From law.vanderbilt.edu:

"February 15 is the priority deadline for consideration for a need-based scholarship. We recommend all forms be submitted by this date. Submitting the FAFSA and Need Access forms by the priority deadline increases the possibility of receiving a need-based scholarship. Forms submitted after the priority deadline will be considered to the extent that funds remain available."

It looks like you will be fine. Feb. 15 is not a strict deadline, but rather a recommended date. The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to maximize the need-based scholarship funds you receive. A few days or even weeks probably won't make a difference. If you wait several months and apply over the summer, there may not be any funds left.

Return to “Financial Aid”