Weird question...hoping someone can help me Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thom111

New

Weird question...hoping someone can help me

Post by thom111 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:03 am

I am waiting for acceptances to schools and getting everything in order. I finished my pre-financial aid stuff today and checked my credit history. Everything is fine.

Then I remembered that a couple of years ago I was still receiving notices from a private doctor about 200 bucks or something they said I owed. It was from all the way back in 2005 and we had been going back and forth cordially that I felt the insurance owed it. I never heard anything again about it, but I have moved several times and they don't have my address. The bill is seven years old and they haven't reported it to collections because it has never showed up on my credit report. I don't even know if they think I still owe it.

So now I am a little freaked. I am afraid this will all of the sudden pop up on my credit in the next few months (even thought it hasnt ever) and I will most likely be applying for a Grad Plus loan.

The bill is in a another city and I could ask a family member to swing by and just pay it and I will send them the money, but the problem is if I pay this bill will it THEN show up on my credit report after all this time as a super late payment? I don't know what to do. I am probably just overreacting that it may magically show up on my credit right as I am about to do law school loans. If I owe it, I will definitely pay it but should I wait and see what happens and then pay it after my loans are secured or should I call them and just pay it now. If I pay it now and it dings my credit will I still be able to get the grad plus?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

ringo

Bronze

Re: Weird question...hoping someone can help me

Post by ringo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 am

You said you've already checked your credit report and it looks good so I wouldn't worry about this. There is no way this is suddenly going to show up in your credit history after 7 years. And even if it did, a $200 delinquent doctor's bill is not going to change your qualifications for grad plus. Forget about it.

Return to “Financial Aid”