Will sending seat deposit reduce my leverage?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
aguaman13

Will sending seat deposit reduce my leverage?

Postby aguaman13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:43 am

I just received my first letter of acceptance (I applied pretty late in the cycle) and the seat deposit is due on the 15th. I am completely ignorant of how this process works and am wondering whether or not paying that deposit will reduce my leverage in asking for scholarship money once I start to get other letters. My numbers aren't stellar, but they are pretty solid for where I'm applying. That being the case, and after looking at what others have been offered on lawschoolnumbers.com, I'm fairly certain that I will be offered something by at least a few schools. Will I be able to leverage those offers once they come in?

Thanks!

Stonewall

Re: Will sending seat deposit reduce my leverage?

Postby Stonewall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:46 am

probably somewhat if other schools can see that you placed it elsewhere, but i dont know how much

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:50 am

Stonewall wrote:probably somewhat if other schools can see that you placed it elsewhere, but i dont know how much

Other schools can see that?

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am

Is it true that negotiations can continue well beyond when the seat deposit is placed? Also, how long does the negotiating window usually stay open?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am

aguaman13 wrote:Is it true that negotiations can continue well beyond when the seat deposit is placed? Also, how long does the negotiating window usually stay open?

I would imagine until you actually attend the school. So long as you have other acceptances, you have leverage.

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks for responding.

I actually just received another acceptance email with an offer of 20K. The email says "Merit scholarship awards are non-negotiable." Is this common?

Also, do I need to pay the seat deposit for this school in order to be able to use it for leverage when negotiating with other schools? There isn't really any way for one school to know if I have paid another, right?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm

You can always negotiate. I did.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 pm

aguaman13 wrote:Thanks for responding.

I actually just received another acceptance email with an offer of 20K. The email says "Merit scholarship awards are non-negotiable." Is this common?

Also, do I need to pay the seat deposit for this school in order to be able to use it for leverage when negotiating with other schools? There isn't really any way for one school to know if I have paid another, right?

you do not need to pay the seat deposit to use it as leverage. And yes, schools can see where you have deposited. It's okay to deposit at more than one school unless the school specifically says that depositing them means you'll withdraw from other acceptances.

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 pm

you do not need to pay the seat deposit to use it as leverage. And yes, schools can see where you have deposited. It's okay to deposit at more than one school unless the school specifically says that depositing them means you'll withdraw from other acceptances.

Thank you.

It seems a bit counterintuitive that you could still have leverage once it is known that you aren't going to a particular school, but I'm glad to hear that. I was worried that I would need to fork over a bunch of money to schools that I don't plan on attending just so I could use their offers for negotiating with the schools that I prefer.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 pm

sarahlawg wrote:you do not need to pay the seat deposit to use it as leverage. And yes, schools can see where you have deposited. It's okay to deposit at more than one school unless the school specifically says that depositing them means you'll withdraw from other acceptances.
How and where can schools see if you have paid a seat deposit at another school? I have never heard of this, not to say it can't happen, I'm just concerned now about my own deposits.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Jeffro wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:you do not need to pay the seat deposit to use it as leverage. And yes, schools can see where you have deposited. It's okay to deposit at more than one school unless the school specifically says that depositing them means you'll withdraw from other acceptances.
How and where can schools see if you have paid a seat deposit at another school? I have never heard of this, not to say it can't happen, I'm just concerned now about my own deposits.

+1

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Jeffro wrote:

it's through LSAC. Schools get reports.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

it's through LSAC. Schools get reports.

Yup. I talked to a 1L at an ASW and he said that he sent in two seat deposits. One of the schools e-mailed him and was like "we see that you have sent in a deposit elsewhere. Could you please expedite your decision as to not hold a seat that you do not intend on taking."

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Well dammit to hell. You think they would tell you this kind of stuff in the brochure...

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:45 pm

I still don't understand. I've made a deposit, and LSAC wasn't involved at all. Do the schools themselves report it to LSAC?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I still don't understand. I've made a deposit, and LSAC wasn't involved at all. Do the schools themselves report it to LSAC?

Yes.

From LSAC:
Multiple-Deposit Notification

Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

It was in the brochure/on the website.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 am

May 15th? Not too bad. I refuse to allow myself to not have decided by then anyway, so it works for me. I shouldn't have overlooked that brochure, though.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah, May 15th, that's no big deal. I was afraid they were looking over our shoulders right this second.

Thanks for the info!

aguaman13

Postby aguaman13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 am

So, how do you guys play it when you get an offer from a school that you now realize you will not be attending?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 am

aguaman13 wrote:So, how do you guys play it when you get an offer from a school that you now realize you will not be attending?

withdraw?

Return to “Financial Aid”