Negotiating with Duke?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
legallyblonde11

Negotiating with Duke?

Postby legallyblonde11 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:01 pm

At this point, I'm deciding between Penn, Duke, and UVA. All three have offered me very respectable amounts of money, but UVA's offer is significantly more generous than Duke's and Penn's is WAY more generous than either.

Anyone had much luck negotiating with Duke? Especially if they've already offered you almost half tuition?

I really love Duke's program but don't think I could choose it without a more competitive offer. I feel terrible saying this because I realize I'm very fortunate to have a number of generous offers, but finances will be an important part of my decision.

I'm visiting Duke in a few days...I was thinking of approaching the issue in person rather than over email. Is that waiting too long?

Moxie

Re: Negotiating with Duke?

Postby Moxie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 am

Email ASAP. It's getting towards the end of the cycle, and I bet they're in the process of finishing disbursement of scholarship funds.

UVA and Penn are considered Duke's peers (or even a tad bit better), so it's definitely worth a shot!! Best of luck

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 am

In negotiating with Duke, do you think a smaller scholly from chicago would have any weight at all? (60k from duke, vs. 45k from uchi). Trying to figure out the best way to go about this as UVA offered me the same and I have yet to hear from Penn...

GotYourselfAStewGoin

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm in a similar situation. Would you just e-mail these types of things to financial_aid@law.duke.edu?

legallyblonde11

Postby legallyblonde11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:I'm in a similar situation. Would you just e-mail these types of things to financial_aid@law.duke.edu?

I don't know if it would be better directed to Admissions or Financial Aid? Maybe send the email to the person who signed your original scholarship notification letter?

legallyblonde11

Postby legallyblonde11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 pm

jpk5372 wrote:In negotiating with Duke, do you think a smaller scholly from chicago would have any weight at all? (60k from duke, vs. 45k from uchi). Trying to figure out the best way to go about this as UVA offered me the same and I have yet to hear from Penn...

Chicago definitely seems to be a bit more prestigious than Duke, but I'm not sure that it would do much if the scholarship from Chicago is less than what Duke has already offered. Might be worth a try though? Out of all the schools you've mentioned, Chicago is probably your best bet.

Return to “Financial Aid”