2010 tax return, etc.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
delusional

2010 tax return, etc.

Postby delusional » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

A few of the schools that I applied to require a copy of my 2010 tax return in order for me to be considered for financial aid. A few general questions:

Do schools (Actually, it's just Columbia that's relevant, bec. I just realized that the other school was Harvard) need my 2010 tax forms before offering merit based aid as well? Or is it just for the "need based aid' that they may "award"?

If it's for merit aid too, does that mean I have to get my taxes done ASAP, and also get my parents to do THEIR taxes ASAP? Or is it okay to send it around the same time as I do to Uncle Sam?

aspire2more

Re: 2010 tax return, etc.

Postby aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 am

Merit-based awards are based on merit, not your income information. I don't think the two schools that offered me scholarships based anything on my FAFSA.

With that being said, W2s came out in January. There is no reason to wait until April to do your taxes. Do them now and get the forms in. Most of the schools I applied to wanted that information no later than March 1.

Return to “Financial Aid”