Deferring = Less Financial Aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Deferring = Less Financial Aid?

Postby mcweanis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

I was wondering whether anyone knows how deferring affects your financial aid.

Is it true that you have to reapply for financial aid the next year, and don't get to keep any offer they give you this year?

I know in a normal cycle, you are more likely to get aid if you apply earlier (I didn't apply til January.)
However, if I am deferring, will I get less money because of it? Will they give me the minimum since I signed a binding agreement and have to go no matter how much they give me, and because I won't have any other offers to leverage?

Re: Deferring = Less Financial Aid?

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Ask the school.

Some schools will guarantee your money next year, many I believe will not.

Postby aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

If they are willing to give you the same amount next year, I'd get that promise in writing. Financial aid officers are human too and you don't want there to be any problems!

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Northwestern specifically said I'lll have to apply all over again for financial aid next year. I turned in all my financial aid stuff (FAFSA, NeedAccess, supplemental essays) this year anyway, because I hadn't yet gotten the decision on my deferral request. But I assume they'll just take my fin. aid app out of the pile and ignore it since they know I won't be matriculating this fall.

It'd be nice if next year's essay questions are similar, so I can reuse them! :P

Return to “Financial Aid”