Grad Plus Eligibility Criteria

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Eugenie Danglars

Grad Plus Eligibility Criteria

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 am

Just thought I'd share this since I hadn't come across it yet:

Credit approval is based on federally mandated criteria, not a credit score. In order to qualify, you must not have any of the following items on your credit report:
· Any current delinquency of 90 days or more
· Any of the following items within the preceding five years of the date of the credit report: Default, Bankruptcy, Discharge, Foreclosure, Repossession, Tax Lien, Wage Garnishment, Write-off of a Title IV Debt, Open Collection

Recent changes in the law that governs the terms and conditions of PLUS loans establish a specific extenuating circumstance for certain PLUS loan applicants who would otherwise be considered to have an adverse credit history. Specifically, a PLUS loan applicant may qualify for a PLUS loan based on extenuating circumstances if the applicant -
· Has been or is delinquent for 180 days or less on mortgage loan payments, or on medical bill payments for the applicant or the applicant’s family, and
· Does not otherwise have an adverse credit history as determined in accordance with the federal regulations that apply to PLUS loan applicants

HOPEFORCHANGE

Re: Grad Plus Eligibility Criteria

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Also, if you really want to know, apply anytime at studentloans.gov whether you're admitted somewhere or not and just choose a school (any school) and you will get an answer right after you apply. It said I was credit approved 30 seconds later and I also got a letter via snail mail.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:Also, if you really want to know, apply anytime at studentloans.gov whether you're admitted somewhere or not and just choose a school (any school) and you will get an answer right after you apply. It said I was credit approved 30 seconds later and I also got a letter via snail mail.

I have tried so many times to do this and every time it tells me that the school I pick is not participating. What am I doing wrong?

HOPEFORCHANGE

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:38 pm

You're not doing anything wrong. Some schools deactivate that function for themselves (like the one you've tried to use) - I imagine so they don't get a bunch of people's forms who aren't even going there (who are just trying to see if they credit qualify). Just pick another school and keep trying different schools until one works. It doesn't matter which school it is, you're just running a credit check.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:You're not doing anything wrong. Some schools deactivate that function for themselves (like the one you've tried to use) - I imagine so they don't get a bunch of people's forms who aren't even going there (who are just trying to see if they credit qualify). Just pick another school and keep trying different schools until one works. It doesn't matter which school it is, you're just running a credit check.

I tried about 20. Could you PM me one that works?

Return to “Financial Aid”