Things that are annoying: parents who marry rich people

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Hey-O

Things that are annoying: parents who marry rich people

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 am

Just complaining. Both of my parents re-married after I was adult and both of them married people who are the primary breadwinners for the family. Why should the person that my parents marry after I turn 20 have any bearing my financial need? Seriously is this person going to give me any money? No. No they are not.

/ rant.

Aggiegrad2011

Re: Things that are annoying: parents who marry rich people

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 am

Hey-O wrote:Just complaining. Both of my parents re-married after I was adult and both of them married people who are the primary breadwinners for the family. Why should the person that my parents marry after I turn 20 have any bearing my financial need? Seriously is this person going to give me any money? No. No they are not.

/ rant.

ITA.

Sadly, there's no way to prove conclusively that they WON'T chip in if you fall on very hard times, so they have to assume these folks would do so.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:44 am

How old are you now? If you're 24 or older, you can declare yourself independent. Do they still carry you on their taxes?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 am

i'd be happy that my parents were happy

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 am

kapachino wrote:How old are you now? If you're 24 or older, you can declare yourself independent. Do they still carry you on their taxes?

I'm 28 so it's ridiculous that I even have to provide my parents info. Especially as my parents made NO money when I was in college and needed their help. So I financed my education entirely on my own. Being as I haven't taken a dime from my parents since I was 19 I'm not about to start now.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:47 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:i'd be happy that my parents were happy

Yeah well... :oops: I'm a jerk. They are happy. Much happier than when they were married to each other, that's for sure.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:48 am

Hey-O wrote:
kapachino wrote:How old are you now? If you're 24 or older, you can declare yourself independent. Do they still carry you on their taxes?

I'm 28 so it's ridiculous that I even have to provide my parents info. Especially as my parents made NO money when I was in college and needed their help. So I financed my education entirely on my own. Being as I haven't taken a dime from my parents since I was 19 I'm not about to start now.

You should be considered independent, then. Talk to FAFSA.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:49 am

kapachino wrote:
Hey-O wrote:

+1

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:49 am

For some schools (Boalt, Davis come to mind) you need to submit a need access report that requires you to disclose parental information regardless of how old you are (unless you're over 30 iirc). I am over 24 and still had to do it.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:51 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

For some schools (Boalt, Davis come to mind) you need to submit a need access report that requires you to disclose parental information regardless of how old you are (unless you're over 30 iirc). I am over 24 and still had to do it.

This. A lot of the T-6 schools require it regardless of age (I'm not sure about the 30 thing). I had to send my parents tax returns for their perusal.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 am

Hey-O wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

This. A lot of the T-6 schools require it regardless of age (I'm not sure about the 30 thing). I had to send my parents tax returns for their perusal.

Yeah I am not 100% sure of the >30 years old thing. It probably varies by school but the fact remains that many schools require that information long past age 24 and it sucks if you have highly achieving parents that don't believe in spoiling their children and therefore make it more difficult for their children to receive aid.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:02 am

Lol, same situation here with my mom remarrying money.. also, my dad remarried someone MY AGE and it's also just hilarious to list her income even though it isn't much.

Just chiming in to say that I feel your pain :evil:

esch8

Postby esch8 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 am

arism87 wrote:Lol, same situation here with my mom remarrying money.. also, my dad remarried someone MY AGE and it's also just hilarious to list her income even though it isn't much.

wow that must be awkward

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 am

arism87 wrote:Lol, same situation here with my mom remarrying money.. also, my dad remarried someone MY AGE and it's also just hilarious to list her income even though it isn't much.

Lol sort of reminds me of Modern Family, where Sofia Vergara is technically Julie Bowen's step-mother even though Julie Bowen is older

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 am

dakatz wrote:

Lol sort of reminds me of Modern Family, where Sofia Vergara is technically Julie Bowen's step-mother even though Julie Bowen is older

Yep, my stepmom has an accent too. Oddly similar.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 am

kapachino wrote:

Uhh... Ok, but it doesn't seem to be talking back...

Return to “Financial Aid”