Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

I filled out the parent info of the FAFSA simply because I was under the impression that it would not be calculated into my EFC and there are a couple schools that require it. However, I'm a little freaked out over the 15k EFC number I'm staring down. Did filling out my parents info affect that at all? I've been working for the past four years and have a decent amount of money saved up (not tons though!), so that might have something to do with it as well.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

are you considered an independent student? did you have to check a box that said "i would like to include my parents info" in order to put your parents info on your fafsa? if so, it won't be included in your EFC. otherwise, it will, but if that's the case then your parents info is mandatory anyway.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

christinalsat wrote:I filled out the parent info of the FAFSA simply because I was under the impression that it would not be calculated into my EFC and there are a couple schools that require it. However, I'm a little freaked out over the 15k EFC number I'm staring down. Did filling out my parents info affect that at all? I've been working for the past four years and have a decent amount of money saved up (not tons though!), so that might have something to do with it as well.


If you fill the paperwork out correctly (ie check the grad school box), it has no effect. They take a portion of your income and a large portion of your savings to make up the EFC.

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

fatduck wrote:are you considered an independent student? did you have to check a box that said "i would like to include my parents info" in order to put your parents info on your fafsa? if so, it won't be included in your EFC. otherwise, it will, but if that's the case then your parents info is mandatory anyway.


I did check the box that said "I would like to include my parents' info."

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Also, when it asked me if I was born before January 1, 1988 I clicked Yes (because I was). So I assume that establishes my independent status as well?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:32 pm

christinalsat wrote:Also, when it asked me if I was born before January 1, 1988 I clicked Yes (because I was). So I assume that establishes my independent status as well?


yea you did everything right. that efc is for you. doesn't include your parents.

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Damn then. 15k seems like an awful lot, no?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 pm

christinalsat wrote:Damn then. 15k seems like an awful lot, no?


your savings probably have a lot to do with it. they basically expect you to empty all your savings into tuition.

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Ugh. So basically I should've spent more and saved less.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 pm

christinalsat wrote:Ugh. So basically I should've spent more and saved less.


it's the american way!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm

christinalsat wrote:Ugh. So basically I should've spent more and saved less.


Having a low EFC isn't worth much. I'd rather have 15K EFC with 15K in cash than 0 EFC and 0 cash.

christinalsat
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:08 pm

I just called FAFSA and they indicated that it was automatically included....

bendurnotes4me
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Filling Out Parent Info Screw My EFC?

Postby bendurnotes4me » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 am

christinalsat wrote:I just called FAFSA and they indicated that it was automatically included....


parent info is automatically included? Does that mean that we high-EFC people should uncheck the "provide parent info" box?

Is it enough to leave the parent into in NeedAccess and not on FAFSA?




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests