PLUS Loans Credit Requirements Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Frankie55

Bronze

PLUS Loans Credit Requirements

Post by Frankie55 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm assuming these are just basic "don't be delinquent/in default on past loans" requirements, right? I have good credit, but like a lot of people applying for these, I haven't been out of undergrad very long, and my parents have poor credit. I won't need to have existing income/a parent to co-sign, will I?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Re: PLUS Loans Credit Requirements

Post by sidhesadie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 pm

My understanding is that as long as you don't have defaults/delinquencies, foreclosures, bankruptcies, judgements, collection accounts or charge offs on your credit you should not need a cosigner.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 am

sidhesadie wrote:My understanding is that as long as you don't have defaults/delinquencies, foreclosures, bankruptcies, judgements, collection accounts or charge offs on your credit you should not need a cosigner.
TITCR. I am in a similar position as the OP as none of my family members have good enough credit to cosign on a loan for me.

Grad Plus loans are not based on credit scores like private loans. Instead they are based on the federal standard, which simply means not being in default or delinquent on a loan, etc. The GWU financial aid site puts it like this:

* Fixed interest rate of 7.9%
* Same payment deferment and forbearance options as the Federal Direct Stafford Loan (e.g. hardship, unemployment, and in-school)
* Fee of 4%, rebated down to 2.5%, is charged on this loan
* Loan eligibility is based on the federal standard (no adverse credit, e.g., no past-due payments, charge-offs, collections in the past 90 days) as opposed to your credit score
* May be consolidated with other federal loans

FromtheD

New

Post by FromtheD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 pm

I have a question regarding the PLUS requirements. If I've just recently paid off my collections on some past due accounts, but they are now settled, when the time comes to apply for this loan, will that have any effect? Is the 90 days in the clear thing really true?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:07 pm

FromtheD wrote:I have a question regarding the PLUS requirements. If I've just recently paid off my collections on some past due accounts, but they are now settled, when the time comes to apply for this loan, will that have any effect? Is the 90 days in the clear thing really true?
I think the best person to answer that is your financial aid adviser at whatever school you plan on attending. They would know more about the restrictions in practice than we would.

wardy007

New

Post by wardy007 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
FromtheD wrote:I have a question regarding the PLUS requirements. If I've just recently paid off my collections on some past due accounts, but they are now settled, when the time comes to apply for this loan, will that have any effect? Is the 90 days in the clear thing really true?
I think the best person to answer that is your financial aid adviser at whatever school you plan on attending. They would know more about the restrictions in practice than we would.

does anyone know the answer to this question????

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”