FAFSA - parental info (independent student)

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
rinkrat19

FAFSA - parental info (independent student)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 pm

The FAFSA form considers me an independent student, since I'm over whatever the age is, don't live with my dad, am not claimed as a dependent on my dad's taxes, am not supported by him, etc.

Then it says that "some schools" require the parental demographic page to be filled out by ALL students, whether they are independent or not. I don't know if any of my schools require it, so I decided to fill it out just to be safe.

On the parental demographics page, the FAFSA form will NOT let me enter one (1) for my father's household size, because it's apparently now assuming that I live there and am a dependent, even though it just told me about 2 minutes before that I am independent, and the parental info section is optional.

Am I totally misinterpreting something here? Obviously I can complete the form without filling out the parental demographics page, but how on earth am I supposed to satisfy the requirements of the schools that want the parental info filled out for all students regardless of dependency status? (And is there any way to figure out which schools those are?)

kalvano

Re: FAFSA - parental info (independent student)

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 am

I would call the schools you are applying to and ask. I skipped that part and didn't have a problem.

northwood

Re: FAFSA - parental info (independent student)

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 am

call the schools. I have one that wants parental information, and they have their own form that you fill out. Apparently the school in question does hand out some need based aid, but only for those that qualify. Since you are an independent student, dont fill out parental information on the fasfa.

Return to “Financial Aid”