Retake LSAT for scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
WVUCelticFan

Retake LSAT for scholarships?

Postby WVUCelticFan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 am

I was wondering if anyone had thought about or heard of anyone taking the February LSAT to get higher scholarships. Would schools accept this, or would it be too late by the time results came out? I took it cold in June (just came back from a semester abroad and had LASIK a few days before, so didn't have time to prep), and am kicking myself for not retaking earlier. Originally I thought it would be good enough, but TLS makes me want to try and improve it.

My top choice is Georgetown (accounting major / almost CPA / honestly want to go into tax law) and the more money I could get, the better. I'm accepted there, but haven't heard anything about money. Not sure if this means I didn't get any, or if it doesn't come out until later (my other schools all said financial aid would come out in January).

So questions:
1) Is a 3.98(4.01 LSAC) and 170 enough to get money at Georgetown? and
2) Would retaking the LSAT in February and improving a 2-3 points have an impact on scholarship offers?

CanadianWolf

Re: Retake LSAT for scholarships?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:20 am

If you scored a 170 on the LSAT without preparation, then you should consider retaking if you are aiming for higher up in the Top 14 since you have a 4.0 GPA. I don't know Georgetown's timetable for awarding scholarship money so I can't offer advice on your main question.

michellejs

Postby michellejs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:41 am

I don't think it could hurt to retake. Even if Georgetown has already made their financial aid decision by then, there is probably an appeals process, in which case a higher LSAT score would be helpful. Are you planning on taking a class to improve your score? The company I used is really good at helping people with already high scores go even higher. I got a 173 the first time, and after my Stratus Prep class I got a 178! Good luck!!

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for the responses.

michellejs wrote:I don't think it could hurt to retake. Even if Georgetown has already made their financial aid decision by then, there is probably an appeals process, in which case a higher LSAT score would be helpful. Are you planning on taking a class to improve your score? The company I used is really good at helping people with already high scores go even higher. I got a 173 the first time, and after my We're sorry, help is not available class I got a 178! Good luck!!

I probably wouldn't take a class. My biggest problem was the games. I did pretty well on the first few, but ran out of time and just filled in ovals for the last 5 ?s right before time ran out. I might be able to improve the other sections a little, but I imagine just finishing the last game at my previous % correct would bump my score.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:I was wondering if anyone had thought about or heard of anyone taking the February LSAT to get higher scholarships. Would schools accept this, or would it be too late by the time results came out? I took it cold in June (just came back from a semester abroad and had LASIK a few days before, so didn't have time to prep), and am kicking myself for not retaking earlier. Originally I thought it would be good enough, but TLS makes me want to try and improve it.

My top choice is Georgetown (accounting major / almost CPA / honestly want to go into tax law) and the more money I could get, the better. I'm accepted there, but haven't heard anything about money. Not sure if this means I didn't get any, or if it doesn't come out until later (my other schools all said financial aid would come out in January).

So questions:
1) Is a 3.98(4.01 LSAC) and 170 enough to get money at Georgetown? and
2) Would retaking the LSAT in February and improving a 2-3 points have an impact on scholarship offers?

If you got a 170 cold and had problems on games, you might be able to score significantly higher on a retake, if games dont hold you up on the retake. Retake and get some money. Though if I were you, I would retake, wait a cycle, and go to HYS/CCN with that GPA and a mid-high 170s LSAT. If you're wasting a 4.01 GPA on gtown, it better be for $$$$ (and even then maybe not, as you might get same money at better schools).

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:24 pm

I was considering doing this. I got a 173, but I didn't prepare very much at all, and I had a, um, bathroom break during one section which impacted my score.

I'm just not sure the February scores come back in time to do anything of importance. Waitlists maybe? I'm more concerned about scholarships tbh.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Definitely retake in February. What schools have you applied to besides GULC? Not too late to send out applications elsewhere right now either.

If I were you I would hope for a 175+, see if I was able to get into HYS or offered money at CCN on down. If you're able to get 175+ (which I think you should be able to), I wouldn't settle for anything besides HYS or another T14 with significant money. If that is not an option this cycle, just wait a year--it's worth it.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Definitely retake in February. What schools have you applied to besides GULC? Not too late to send out applications elsewhere right now either.

If I were you I would hope for a 175+, see if I was able to get into HYS or offered money at CCN on down. If you're able to get 175+ (which I think you should be able to), I wouldn't settle for anything besides HYS or another T14 with significant money. If that is not an option this cycle, just wait a year--it's worth it.

I've applied to Columbia, UVA, Gtown, GW, W&M, W&L and WVU (super safety). So far, in at Gtown and W&L, complete/pending everywhere else. My intention is to stay in DC or the VA/WV area. As I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in tax. If I was able to do Biglaw, great, if not, I'd be happy working for a Big 4 firm or one of the larger (for WV) firms around here. I'm pretty debt adverse, and know that I would pick Gtown or UVA with decent money over just getting in to HYS.

So consensus so far seems to be that retaking can't hurt? I just don't want to spend the time and money if it's too late to make a difference, but would be happy to if it would help me get a much better scholarship at a lower T14.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:53 pm

And the key question is "how much time are you willing to spend preparing for a retake". Not certain, but I believe one poster retook a 171 and scored a 161 on the retake which he feels may have caused him to be waitlisted at one of his safeties.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:08 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Definitely retake in February. What schools have you applied to besides GULC? Not too late to send out applications elsewhere right now either.

I've applied to Columbia, UVA, Gtown, GW, W&M, W&L and WVU (super safety). So far, in at Gtown and W&L, complete/pending everywhere else. My intention is to stay in DC or the VA/WV area. As I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in tax. If I was able to do Biglaw, great, if not, I'd be happy working for a Big 4 firm or one of the larger (for WV) firms around here. I'm pretty debt adverse, and know that I would pick Gtown or UVA with decent money over just getting in to HYS.

So consensus so far seems to be that retaking can't hurt? I just don't want to spend the time and money if it's too late to make a difference, but would be happy to if it would help me get a much better scholarship at a lower T14.

Why not NYU? Aren't they one of the best schools for tax? And you should be competitive for a Hamilton at Columbia with a higher LSAT score (175+). If you are debt averse, that would be seem to be your best bet. Not sure if it's too late for this cycle though. In any case, a retake is worth it if you can devote time to it. If you cant get significant money from UVA or GULC, then I would wait a year if you are able to get into the mid 170's. A year is worth the opportunity at 60k+ in scholarship money.

Return to “Financial Aid”