Independent Scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JWicker10

Bronze

Independent Scholarships

Post by JWicker10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I was just posting this thread to see if anybody knows anything about independent scholarships and organizations that may provide them. I was fortunate enough to get a pretty generous scholarhip award from NYU (which is where I'll be attending) but was posting this to see if anybody knew anything about any other awards out there to apply for from independent organizations. I.e. the California Teacher's Association, etc etc.

I searched the forum but wasn't able to find much on the topic.

A little about myself:

Non-urm
From California
High LSAT and GPA

I'll be covering the remainder of my tuition and contiguous living expenses completely on my own and every little bit helps. Thanks.

Also, any links you might have to where to apply for these awards would be much appreciated.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: Independent Scholarships

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm curious on this as well.

Is there some kind of database? I know they have something like that for UG schollys, but have never seen one for law school awards.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I've looked at FastWeb. There's pretty much crap on there for law.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm

dudders wrote:I've looked at FastWeb. There's pretty much crap on there for law.
Yeah, I think that's the one I'm thinking of from UG. Can't seem to find a real database for law schollys.

JWicker10

Bronze

Post by JWicker10 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Ya same, its kind of a bummer actually. Especially since Law School is so expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Maybe they figure that a lot of us get merit scholarships already and think we need to finish up with SOME kind of loan debt to make a point or something?

It's aggravating ugh. I got a merit scholly but nowhere near enough to make a true impact. Wow, my 3 year total will be down from 180k to around 135k. I think I still need some help.

EDIT: I'm thinking about possibly applying for transfer if I do REALLY well to a higher-ranked school in the area, and if I then get in to that school, negotiating years 2 and 3 of my current scholly based on the fact that they will lose me attrition-wise and tuition-wise if I leave. Anyone know if this has worked?
Last edited by chicagolaw2013 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:16 pm

not many people want to help out lawyers

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 am

I thought I'd tag this thread to see if anyone recently discovered information about independent scholarships. I'm not likely to get anything from the schools I want and although I'm willing to take out loans for those kind of schools, any scholarship money on the side would be awesome.

Hang on, found one from another thread: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/outs ... rships.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”