summer loans?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lallygag

summer loans?

Postby lallygag » Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm

So I'm a bit confused/lost about money sources for the summer between 1L and 2L. Assuming you don't land a job, or you land an unpaid internship, (or you're not rich) where is your money supposed to come from?

For example, my future school's COL is around $16,400, calculated for 9 months... so what about the other 3 months? I would be taking out GradPlus loans to the max allowed for the school year, and my school does summer financial aid only if you're enrolled for summer courses. So what do you do in this case? Try to squeeze those $16,400 into 12 months? Private loans?

stintez

Re: summer loans?

Postby stintez » Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 pm

lallygag wrote:So I'm a bit confused/lost about money sources for the summer between 1L and 2L. Assuming you don't land a job, or you land an unpaid internship, (or you're not rich) where is your money supposed to come from?

For example, my future school's COL is around $16,400, calculated for 9 months... so what about the other 3 months? I would be taking out GradPlus loans to the max allowed for the school year, and my school does summer financial aid only if you're enrolled for summer courses. So what do you do in this case? Try to squeeze those $16,400 into 12 months? Private loans?

Get another JOB bar tending is easy money or find something part time. Be the guy that say's welcome to walmart for a few months.

RonArtest

Postby RonArtest » Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 pm

I hear Wal-Mart is hiring.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed May 26, 2010 12:32 pm

lallygag wrote:So I'm a bit confused/lost about money sources for the summer between 1L and 2L. Assuming you don't land a job, or you land an unpaid internship, (or you're not rich) where is your money supposed to come from?

Some schools have their own stipends for public interest, so if you land an unpaid internship they'll fork over $4000-6000 to pay for your cost of living, etc. You'd have to talk with your school's employment office or scan their website for such programs. I'm sure they have something...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Tutor undergradates if you are at or close to a university or college.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 pm

lawyering wrote:

Some schools have their own stipends for public interest, so if you land an unpaid internship they'll fork over $4000-6000 to pay for your cost of living, etc. You'd have to talk with your school's employment office or scan their website for such programs. I'm sure they have something...

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Return to “Financial Aid”