Petitioning for an increase in cost of attendance Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Petitioning for an increase in cost of attendance

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 am

Barring an acceptance from Cornell, I'm going to be going to UMN next year. Because it could be quite some time before I hear from Cornell, I've started looking at housing in Minneapolis. However, most of the decent places I've found are between $800 - $1000 a month and UMN only allots ~$12k to "other Expenses (room, board, transportation, personal items)" in its financial aid breakdown. If that ends up not being enough to cover my rent, utilities, food, etc. what is the process like for petitioning for an increase in your cost of attendance and grad plus loans? I'm financing law school entirely on loans, so I'll have to settle for a cheaper place if I can't get the increase and don't want to starve.

Does anybody know how difficult it is to petition for that increase? It would be especially useful if there is anyone from Minnesota who has done so and can comment.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Re: Petitioning for an increase in cost of attendance

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 am

Never mind. I just called Minnesota's financial aid office and they don't consider any petitions for increases in cost of attendance / loan figures, except for childcare expenses.

Effin a.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Petitioning for an increase in cost of attendance

Post by im_blue » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:59 am

UMN's budget is $12,362, of which $9612 is for room/board, or $1068/month over 9 months. So it looks like you'll either have to get a roommate or cook all your meals to meet that budget.

Return to “Financial Aid”