Establishing VA residency

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pjo

Establishing VA residency

Postby pjo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Can someone please direct me to a link or something that has a list of everything needed to be declared a VA resident. I know this is tough to do but I have over a year before I start school so I thought it would give me enough time to do everything necessary. I've been searching but I can't find a comprehensive list. Also, has anyone had any success in doing this that goes to a VA school? I'd love some imput. Thanks

Sauer Grapes

Re: Establishing VA residency

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:40 pm

http://www.schev.edu/students/VAdomicileguidelines.asp

basically all the stuff that the previous poster put, but you have to establish that you don't intend to leave the state. I suggest that if you can, get a business license in the state. The URL posted above has the Domicile guidelines for VA to be eligible for in-state tuition. You also have to have residency for a year unless your active duty military under orders to the region (i.e daily driving distance) Maryland, DC, Delaware, possibly Kentucky, Tennessee, NC.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:02 pm

thanks. Just so I'm clear though, my job DOESN'T have to be in VA?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:14 pm

pjo wrote:thanks. Just so I'm clear though, my job DOESN'T have to be in VA?

No. I live in VA and work in DC, but I qualified. Note that I had also registered to vote in VA back in 2007 and registered my car here last summer. I don't know if you have to do all of those things, but it helped make me a clear-cut resident.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Essentially the more things you do to establish you live here the better. You don't have to also work here. You do need 12 consecutive months prior to your enrollment date, so make sure you move here before the end of the summer. The sooner you get here and the clearer you make it that you're living here the easier it will be.

Return to “Financial Aid”