Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Age Diversity Statement
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:28 pm 

New to this so I'm not sure that I'm posting in the right place right now. I just wanted to ask for opinions on the topic of a diversity statement that I may include in my application. Whenever I look up what diversity statements should be based upon, I see race, socioeconomic status, age, sexuality.
I was thinking about writing based on age. I will be applying to law school as a 20 year old, and I recently saw a stat that only 1% of Columbia's last entering class was age 20 or younger. Although I will be newly 21 when I enter law school, that's still young, right? I will finish my undergraduate education in three years, rather than four, and attending law school just after I graduate. I feel like the diversity statement would be a good way to highlight that.
Let me know what you all think! Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: Age Diversity Statement
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 pm 

sounds like a pain. why don't you go work somewhere for a few years before applying and then you won't have to write one?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 pm 

jesus fuck

writing a ds about your whiteness is a better idea than this

eta i love how OP posted this in the urm forum

hereisonehand wrote:
Please write this and post it here so we can critique it. This is an excellent place for constructive criticism on a piece of this nature.

Last edited by darth lulz on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 pm 

Please don't do this. Your age is a negative factor on your application. No one will care in a positive manner that you are young. Just please, please don't do this.

I'm a young 1L (21) and it just isn't a positive thing. Wait a year, but if you won't, DO NOT write this DS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:40 pm 

phillywc wrote:
Please don't do this. Your age is a negative factor on your application. No one will care in a positive manner that you are young. Just please, please don't do this.

I'm a young 1L (21) and it just isn't a positive thing. Wait a year, but if you won't, DO NOT write this DS.

Philly is spot on here.

You should really consider taking some time off to get work exp.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 pm 

Please write this and post it here so we can critique it. This is an excellent place for constructive criticism on a piece of this nature.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:52 pm 

hereisonehand wrote:

Oh lord. OP, don't do this.^

And I agree with everyone else that a diversity statement about being young is unlikely to help you. While age discrimination/diversity issues should cut both ways (old/young), in your position, writing such a statement will only draw attention to your lack of experience (work/life) and likely suggest a corresponding immaturity (note I'm not saying that you are immature, just that this is what youth can suggest in a professional context). If you are determined to do this, you'd have to be incredibly careful/good at it. What about being young/doing undergrad in 3 years would actually contribute to your law school class? (Everyone who goes to law school has been younger than they are now.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:21 pm 

Sounds like this could be a good personal statement "I know I'm young, but I busted my ass to finish school a year early. I know I can do the work and I'll bring a lot to the table."

I'm sure that in your mind your idea sounds like creative, outside the box thinking, but it probably won't be received that way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:11 pm 

I am positive that I would like to attend law school after graduating. I'm completely against the idea of taking a year or two off, but I never thought of how that could be perceived in a negative way. I understand what everyone is saying, about how this could come off as cocky. I had just read so many statements about race that I thought it would be an interesting twist, but I do understand how it could go bad. Thanks for all this feedback! I did want to somehow include the fact that I busted my ass to finish in three years, taking summer and winter classes, loading extra credits during semesters, ect. But maybe I could show that in another way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm 

For instance, through your transcript.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:26 pm 

being young is a negative to professional schools. Take a year (or two) and work - as a barista if you have to; your life skills will appreciate it.

But whatever you do, don't highlight your youngness in a DS. Adcoms are not dumb -- they can easily see a three-year transcript and your graduation date and do the math.

Quote:
I did want to somehow include the fact that I busted my ass to finish in three years, taking summer and winter classes, loading extra credits during semesters, ect.

Why do you think Adcoms will care, (particularly when some/many prefer to see work experience)?

Last edited by Big Dog on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:27 pm 

ndigiaco14 wrote:
I am positive that I would like to attend law school after graduating. I'm completely against the idea of taking a year or two off, but I never thought of how that could be perceived in a negative way. I understand what everyone is saying, about how this could come off as cocky. I had just read so many statements about race that I thought it would be an interesting twist, but I do understand how it could go bad. Thanks for all this feedback! I did want to somehow include the fact that I busted my ass to finish in three years, taking summer and winter classes, loading extra credits during semesters, ect. But maybe I could show that in another way.

They'll see it on your transcript. Admissions people are smart folks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:31 pm 

Perhaps write your PS about your first beer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:31 pm 

you don't seem cocky you seem naive and foolish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:33 pm 

Efficiency matters, and doing something that usually takes people 4 years in 3 is (at least slightly) to OPs credit, especially if he overcame obstacles to do it. It might speak to his/her efficiency in studying in law school.

Adcoms are smart, but it might escape their notice if you don't put it in front of their face. If you think this is one of your primary selling points, put it in your personal statement. You don't have to mention your corresponding age either. For all they know, you took a year off between HS and college or started kindergarten late.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm 

Skool basically summarizes what I was thinking on the topic. I thought it would portray efficiency and dedication. My numbers give me a fair shot at getting into some good schools, so I guess I'll just let them speak for themselves. I am concerned about things such as personal statements, diversity, ect. incase they could give me anyway to stand out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 pm 

they will not

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 pm 

they will not

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:16 pm 

In that case I should probably write how I will bring diversity by me never having a sip of alcohol in my life before. Since you know, probably 90% of applicants had a drink before.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 am 

seriously, don't do this. and if, in interviews, adcoms ask you whether or not you're considering taking a year or more off to work, the correct answer is "I'm open to it if the right opportunity comes along," NOT "I'm completely against the idea of taking a year or two off"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:18 am 

ndigiaco14 wrote:
I recently saw a stat that only 1% of Columbia's last entering class was age 20 or younger.

This may make you one of the only 20 year-olds; it doesn't make you "diverse". To be diverse would require a 20 year-old to be substantially different from the sea of 22-23 year-olds entering law school every year. 40 is substantially different from 22-23. 20 is not.

To the 30/40/50 year-old admissions officer, y'all are just a bunch of young punks that won't get off their lawn. They will not recognize any "diversity" between the ages of 20 and 23.