Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.8, ~160, Where to apply?!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:07 pm 

So unfortunately I am a little late in the process due to an unforeseen circumstance that would allow me to enroll fall 2015 instead of 2016

I've been looking t50, but after reading some comments in the thread wondering if I should shoot a little higher..

Looking to do sports law

3.8 GPA
Waiting on December LSAT results (my first one)
PT's were in 158-161 range
Graduating in 3 years
Senior Vice President of Sport Management Club (100+ members, raise $40k a year for charity)
Experience in sports talk radio and sports podcasting

Let me know what yall think! I've already sent out a few t50 applications, and have a few ideas of where I want to go, but always open to seeing if I can get into a few top programs!

Post subject: Re: 3.8, ~160, Where to apply?!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:24 pm 

How amenable are you to legal work that doesn't involve sports law? If you are African-American and pull a 160 with that GPA, you should be aiming higher. You could probably pull a t6 or t14 with a big scholarship. There are only a handful of firms who practice sports law in a meaningful way so the odds of landing at any one of them are small. Therefore, you should go where you have good contingency options in the event you don't get one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:29 pm 

Welcome. We can be a lot more helpful if you let us know what sort of URM you are. As reasonable mentioned, your barrier as an AA is 160. With a 160 and your great GPA, t14 acceptances with money are in your future.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44 pm 

cc78 wrote:
Welcome. We can be a lot more helpful if you let us know what sort of URM you are. As reasonable mentioned, your barrier as an AA is 160. With a 160 and your great GPA, t14 acceptances with money are in your future.

But "sports law" probably is not in your future regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:57 pm 

Are you open to retaking in February or June? If you're set on this cycle, it could be a gamechanger.

If you want to work in sports, why not look at journalism? I know it's a tough field right now, but it's not nearly difficult to get into as "sports law." I'd like to know more about what you have in mind when you're putting that out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 am 

Big Red wrote:
Are you open to retaking in February or June? If you're set on this cycle, it could be a gamechanger.

If you want to work in sports, why not look at journalism? I know it's a tough field right now, but it's not nearly difficult to get into as "sports law." I'd like to know more about what you have in mind when you're putting that out there.

My best friend is headed to the NFL this year and will be a first round pick. He won't be picking up an agent until his second contract. We've joked about a player-agent relationship for a while, but of course I know that's not a guarantee; he could blow his knee out, we could have a falling out, etc.

I've been looking at internships at different firms and agencies this summer, and I have a connect with the NFL Player's Association. I realize it's a tough industry to break in to, and the odds are definitely stacked against me, but that's my goal right now. Obviously time will tell, if I'm out of a job for an extended period of time and have a law degree it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to switch concentrations.

I have a lot of marketing experience stacked on my resume so I'm hoping that'll play into my favor as well.

As far as the LSAT, it really depends on what score I get back next week. If it's lower than I want do you suggest I re-take in February and re-submit? One of my logic games sections was not so hot, I'm hoping it was the experimental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 am 

cc78 wrote:

20 year old Black Male

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:13 am 

crobinson703 wrote:
cc78 wrote:

20 year old Black Male

Okay...I'm not touching sports law. I'll just focus on what schools to apply to, based on your LSAT. I'm also going to try to avoid just beating the retake drum. You can retake if you want to and you're so young that you have time, so retaking/sitting out is never the wrong move. Your softs are interesting, but not really strong, so it's going to come down to the numbers for you.

If you get less than 158, then you should forget it for this cycle, retake and reapply next time. Yes, you will probably snag a lower T14 acceptance with something between 155-158, but you wont be getting any money and your goal should be to go as cheaply as possible (as it is for all of us).

If you're 159-163, then you're good to apply from Chicago/Columbia on down. Higher than 163 means you aren't incinerating your cash by applying to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford (YHS). Yale and Stanford are crapshoots, but a 3.8/164 is getting H unless you screw up in some way.

Also, FORGET about the T50, unless there's a regional school that places where you have strong ties. Since you have unicorn aspirations, you're definitely going to want to go to the best school possible. It would be hard for me to see how local T50 state U will be that. Just look at the T14.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 pm 

cc78 wrote:
crobinson703 wrote:
cc78 wrote:

20 year old Black Male

Okay...I'm not touching sports law. I'll just focus on what schools to apply to, based on your LSAT. I'm also going to try to avoid just beating the retake drum. You can retake if you want to and you're so young that you have time, so retaking/sitting out is never the wrong move. Your softs are interesting, but not really strong, so it's going to come down to the numbers for you.

If you get less than 158, then you should forget it for this cycle, retake and reapply next time. Yes, you will probably snag a lower T14 acceptance with something between 155-158, but you wont be getting any money and your goal should be to go as cheaply as possible (as it is for all of us).

If you're 159-163, then you're good to apply from Chicago/Columbia on down. Higher than 163 means you aren't incinerating your cash by applying to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford (YHS). Yale and Stanford are crapshoots, but a 3.8/164 is getting H unless you screw up in some way.

Also, FORGET about the T50, unless there's a regional school that places where you have strong ties. Since you have unicorn aspirations, you're definitely going to want to go to the best school possible. It would be hard for me to see how local T50 state U will be that. Just look at the T14.

Appreciate the help! I will definitely take all of that into consideration.

I also have a question about a soft, I don't know how/if I should use it.

My aunt is a New York Times best selling author. She writes books for young girls ages 8-14. I've done a lot of work with her (ghostwriting, editing, vignettes, etc..) including writing a complete book that is going to be released under her pen name (tentatively late 2015, early 2016 although nothing is guaranteed). How should I use this? Should I ask her for a letter of recommendation? Even though she is technically a former employer, is it a little shady to get a LOR from a close relative? Or should I just add an addendum explaining my situation and the work I've done.

(btw, it is on my resume, but I feel like given the potential boost it could give me, maybe I should expand)

Please let me know your thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:08 pm 

I don't think that you need to elaborate beyond your resume. If you can work that into an interview, it would probably be a boon, but I wouldn't write an addendum about it.

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot if you settle for anything below 165. Don't agree with cc78 about the necessity of going to an elite school, given your aspirations. It certainly is a unicorn job, but it's not the type of job(ex, academia) that is any easier to get because you went to yale or wherever. Although drew rosenhaus did go to duke, so maybe prestige helps ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:28 pm 

you're in a great position. Definitely retake in June for next year's cycle. Get a high 160's score... well you've won the cycle. Congrats