Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice for aa undergraduate usafr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:11 am 

Hello,

I turning 23 going on 24. I'm currently at a community college expecting to transfer and graduate from sacramento state as business major in 2018. My gpa is currently a 2.9 with 3.3 this semester with one withdrawal and I plan to clep some classes. I would love to attend a t14 school any advise. I'm also a senior airman in the usafr soon to be promoted to staff sergeant and a AA male. Ohh and I might graduate later because of a possible upcoming deployment. Should take extra reading classes, what schools are receptive, all advice is welcomed.

Post subject: Re: Advice for aa undergraduate usafr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:17 am 

take your time and study for the LSAT. you should aim for a score of 170+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:39 am 

If you're not graduating for another four years I'd first focus as much as you can on getting that GPA up. A 2.9 is going to significantly limit your options, and bumping it up while you still have the chance will help your prospects a lot; the fewer courses you've taken the more of a difference you can make, so it's important to deal with your GPA before it's too late. To that end, I'd try to take the easiest courses you can rather than taking courses just because you think they may prepare you for law school, avoid taking too many classes at once, and put in as much effort as you can; seek out the help of professors and TAs, talk a lot in class if there are participation marks, and generally bust your ass. It may be painful now but it will pay off big time for the rest of your life.

As chizzy suggests, the LSAT is also very important, in fact it's probably the single most important aspect of an application. You could start studying now, but that may leave you burned-out if you don't plan on taking for a while and it would take away time from your undergrad studying; yu can retake the LSAT but you have one shot at undergrad, at least in terms of the GPA that law schools will consider. I'd put the LSAT off for a while, but once you've bumped up and solidified your GPA make sure to check out this section of the forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6. It's filled with great resources and has helped many people boost theirs scores.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 am 

Sac1990 wrote:
Hello,

I turning 23 going on 24. I'm currently at a community college expecting to transfer and graduate from sacramento state as business major in 2018. My gpa is currently a 2.9 with 3.3 this semester with one withdrawal and I plan to clep some classes. I would love to attend a t14 school any advise. I'm also a senior airman in the usafr soon to be promoted to staff sergeant and a AA male. Ohh and I might graduate later because of a possible upcoming deployment. Should take extra reading classes, what schools are receptive, all advice is welcomed.

I graduated Sac state and I am heading to law school in fall. Pm me I say you switch majors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm 

drawstring wrote:
If you're not graduating for another four years I'd first focus as much as you can on getting that GPA up. A 2.9 is going to significantly limit your options, and bumping it up while you still have the chance will help your prospects a lot; the fewer courses you've taken the more of a difference you can make, so it's important to deal with your GPA before it's too late. To that end, I'd try to take the easiest courses you can rather than taking courses just because you think they may prepare you for law school, avoid taking too many classes at once, and put in as much effort as you can; seek out the help of professors and TAs, talk a lot in class if there are participation marks, and generally bust your ass. It may be painful now but it will pay off big time for the rest of your life.

As chizzy suggests, the LSAT is also very important, in fact it's probably the single most important aspect of an application. You could start studying now, but that may leave you burned-out if you don't plan on taking for a while and it would take away time from your undergrad studying; yu can retake the LSAT but you have one shot at undergrad, at least in terms of the GPA that law schools will consider. I'd put the LSAT off for a while, but once you've bumped up and solidified your GPA make sure to check out this section of the forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6. It's filled with great resources and has helped many people boost theirs scores.

I spoke to a sac state counselor that went to law school. He said his buddy(bus major) struggled with the reading. He told me to think about that. He was a English major and the majority of the other students were also or political science majors(hence a lot time reading/developing reading and writing skills). I don't want that to be a problem for me so I thought about taking a couple of extra classes to improve my reading/writing a bit more. What do guys/gals think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:20 pm 

I'm want to appeal the w to get it erased will the effect my gpa?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm 

Sac1990 wrote:
I'm want to appeal the w to get it erased will the effect my gpa?

Unless the W was punitive, it shouldn't have any effect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:22 am 

I'd like to attend columbia what do I gpa,LSAT and softs should I have?
I volunteer a lot received non combat awards for meritorious service in the usafr. Also how much do they take into account family background/upbringing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 am 

Wait for as long as you can to finish your bachelors and take easy community college classes to bump up your LSAC gpa. Even if those classes dont count towards your degree, they count towards your LSAC gpa. PM me w/ questions.

drawstring wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:17 am 

Update I now have a 3.4. Major is now history. I transfer 2016. I will be taking the test masters prep in the summer of 2017 before my senior year. Anymore advice? Scholarships?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 pm 

I was enlisted in the military and am currently applying. I think you should definitely focus on raising your GPA up as HIGH as possible. Even if you have to take more credits than required, you should do it.

As for CLS, you may want to consider where you transfer to. Any reason why you can't relocate? Columbia has a School of General Studies which you would likely qualify for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 am 

DiniMae wrote:
I was enlisted in the military and am currently applying. I think you should definitely focus on raising your GPA up as HIGH as possible. Even if you have to take more credits than required, you should do it.

As for CLS, you may want to consider where you transfer to. Any reason why you can't relocate? Columbia has a School of General Studies which you would likely qualify for.

I want to save my gi bill for law school. Sac state tutition is only 6,000 a year. If you dont mind how has your experience been? grades? Lsat? Military boost? URM boost? and where do you plan to apply?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm 

Sac1990 wrote:
DiniMae wrote:

I want to save my gi bill for law school. Sac state tutition is only 6,000 a year. If you dont mind how has your experience been? grades? Lsat? Military boost? URM boost? and where do you plan to apply?

Talk to me in 4 months and I will let you know

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm 

DiniMae wrote:
Sac1990 wrote:
DiniMae wrote:

Talk to me in 4 months and I will let you know

+1
AA Male active military applicant. Will let you know how my cycle goes as well.