Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: URM entering OCI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

I'm not sure if there's a better place to ask about this on the forum (If there is please direct me to it), but I am wondering about on-campus interviews and potential results as a URM.

I'm a rising 2L at a top 5 law school. While I am considering firms based on my grades and personal interests, I am wondering if any URM law students received offers that may not exactly reflect the numbers given to us at top 5 law schools, where most applicants were probably white males.

I'd be interested to hear from both those who interviewed/bidded at high-ranked firms and didn't. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: URM entering OCI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 pm 

telefeatures wrote:
I'm not sure if there's a better place to ask about this on the forum (If there is please direct me to it), but I am wondering about on-campus interviews and potential results as a URM.

I'm a rising 2L at a top 5 law school. While I am considering firms based on my grades and personal interests, I am wondering if any URM law students received offers that may not exactly reflect the numbers given to us at top 5 law schools, where most applicants were probably white males.

I'd be interested to hear from both those who interviewed/bidded at high-ranked firms and didn't. Thanks.

So is there a URM boost for OCI? Yes there is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:22 pm 

My understanding is that if you are an URM and at or above the median at a top 5 school, there are very few firms that are out of reach. You might still struggle to get the Wachtells and Williams and Connollys of the world, but you should be very competitive at V10 firms.

Obviously the higher your grades are, the better. Top 20 percent at a T5 + URM and you can have whatever you want unless you are just a terrible interviewer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm 

viewforum.php?f=23 is the Legal Employment forum. If you click on Board index on the left, just above the thread title, you can view a list of all sub forums. Click on those and you will find threads within.