Which Box do I check??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rwajo12

Which Box do I check??

Postby rwajo12 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:53 pm

I appreciate anyone who would be willing to help with this question.

I have been living in the US for the past 11 years with my family on my mother's work visa. I am originally from Africa and currently in the process of applying for Permanent Residency. What do I check on my applications where they ask about citizenship? I am not a non-resident alien so i don't know what to check?

Just curious, do non-PR holders still receive a URM boost?

Thanks guys.

janereacher

Re: Which Box do I check??

Postby janereacher » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:11 pm

You should definitely ask the schools you are applying to about this. However, using the IRS definition, you are definitely not a Non-Resident Alien. I would imagine you would select, "Non US Citizen" and then choose your mother's applicable visa type.

Assuming you are Black African, I don't see why you wouldn't get a boost.

zerato5

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:13 pm

rwajo12 wrote:I appreciate anyone who would be willing to help with this question.

I have been living in the US for the past 11 years with my family on my mother's work visa. I am originally from Africa and currently in the process of applying for Permanent Residency. What do I check on my applications where they ask about citizenship? I am not a non-resident alien so i don't know what to check?

Thanks guys.

You are a non-resident alien until your green card application is approved.

rwajo12

Postby rwajo12 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

zerato5 wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:I appreciate anyone who would be willing to help with this question.

Thanks guys.

You are a non-resident alien until your green card application is approved.

From the definition i found on some school's admissions' website, it says i am not. Its confusing.

zerato5

Postby zerato5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm

rwajo12 wrote:From the definition i found on some school's admissions' website, it says i am not. Its confusing.

Would you share it?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”