Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diversity statement on my (non)religious experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am 

Morning everyone. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Long story short: I was heavily influenced by my grandparents when I was growing up since I spent a lot of time at their house while my parents were working. My grandfather is an atheist and my grandmother was a devout Christian. My parents lean more towards agnostic, but other family members practice Santeria (queue Sublime jokes).

Essentially I was wondering if it was would be fruitful to write a diversity statement about how being exposed to all of these different influences as a child and seeing many family gathering erupt into religious discussions and arguments, instilled a both an acceptance for other people's views and a readiness of defend my own ideas. Although I'm a mixed race afro-cuban, I didn't want my diversity statement to be on race as I feel that my religious experiences impacted me just as much, but is more unique.

Post subject: Re: Diversity statement on my (non)religious experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am 

I am atheist.

I wouldn't bring it up, ESPECIALLY in a diversity statement that isn't meant for us.

Post subject: Re: Diversity statement on my (non)religious experiences?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 am 

I don't practice Santeria, and I don't really have a crystal ball, but I'd think if you can synthesize ethnic and religious diversity in a compelling way, it might be refreshing (doesnt seem like a path frequently taken on these boards). It would be another thing if you were just a white atheist.

I think it's worth at least a first draft if you have the time to try.