Application Portfolio Assistance

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
IVORY19

New

Application Portfolio Assistance

Postby IVORY19 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello,

I am looking for help building my application portfolio. I don’t want to apply to more than ten schools because I really want to be able to put in the energy required to develop a unique app for each. I have a very particular idea about what I want to do. Here’s relevant info without giving away too much. I plan to apply in September 2020.

3.6x (low) / 16x (middle of low 160s)
Ethnicity: Mixed White/NA/AA/Other Hispanic
Master’s degree
Multiple leadership positions, collegiate athlete (NCAA D1)
C&F issues (minor misconduct. non-academic, non-criminal)
Currently working in legal field

Here’s what I would like in an ideal world (a federal clerkship is an added bonus):

1. TX biglaw in tax practice.
2. Chicago biglaw in tax practice.
3. TX/Chicago biglaw generally.

I live in a rural part of the Rocky Mountain region and have no ties to TX or Chicago, but I cannot stand the thought of living long-term on the east coast or in a big CA city. Going to law school in one of those places would be fine though.

Thanks for your help!

cavalier1138

Re: Application Portfolio Assistance

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am

I'm not clear on what you're looking for here. But I can give at least one piece of feedback based on what you've said so far:

IVORY19 wrote:I don’t want to apply to more than ten schools because I really want to be able to put in the energy required to develop a unique app for each.

Beyond being entirely pointless, this would be difficult to do, since all law school apps are basically identical. Assuming you qualify as a URM (and it seems like you should), you'll be competitive for the lower T13 with your current numbers. If you can retake into the mid-to-high 160s, that would give you a big boost for admissions and scholarship chances.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?