158 3.67, should I retake? please help!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
proteinshake

158 3.67, should I retake? please help!

Postby proteinshake » Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 am

Asking for a friend that I advised to retake and reapply:

*PLEASE DON'T QUOTE*

so I took the LSAT once and scored a 158. my GPA is currently a 3.67. I didn't study as hard as I could (took less than 10 PTs). I was waitlisted at Cornell and accepted to BU on their largest scholarship. My question is whether or not I should retake for the T14? My main worry is scoring high enough to get there. What score would definitely break me into the T14? what about the T3? I'm a half-black female, in case that matters. I'm deciding between going to BU or retaking to get into a T14. I would like to work in NYC, but don't have a specific career goal in mind. Thanks! :mrgreen:

raven1231

Re: 158 3.67, should I retake? please help!

Postby raven1231 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 am

If a 158 is your baseline I'd most certainly retake. Worst case you're at the same spot you are next year. For what it's worth I took my first LSAT (without any prep) and got a 150, studied for only a month and a half and scored a 162. You can very likely bring that score up to break into the 160's or higher.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 02, 2016 9:45 am

EDIT: This is directed to your friend

You already know the answer, you're question and phrasing makes it abundantly clear!

You're an URM with a 3.6. You have the ability to get into Harvard, or a full-ride or close to it with some diligent studying.

I am studying for the LSAT now, and I am seeing huge improvements within only a couple weeks of basic studying...This is a completely learnable test and it rewards those who study for it the right way--generally over a period of 3-4 months. And there's research that shows there's a strong correlation between the # of PT someone writes and their final score being higher. Get the Powerscore bibles, the LSAT Trainer, and a bunch of old LSATS (I recommend doing them all!) Besides, you even admit you didn't do your best or prepare adequately...

Putting in 3 months at 3-4 hours a day will pay dividends on the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars vis-a-vis scholarships at the T-14 that will give you a great shot at actually being a lawyer who makes good money.

To answer your questions: To comfortably break into the T-14 I would say a 160-161 should net you Cornell and Georgetown. And to break into HYS you would need ~168 for a good shot at H. Y/S seem to be more unpredictable, but I would want to aim for at least a 173-175. However, aim high as to get more $$$ and decrees debt. My motto now is t-14 $$$ or bust. If you actually want to be a lawyer the LSAT will generally be the easiest thing along the way. You owe it to yourself if you actually want to be a lawyer. Law school tests are harder, the Bar is harder, and practice will be harder. Prove it to yourself you have what it takes.

These are big improvements over your current score, but please remember YOU CAN DO THIS! It's a learnable test, and it will potentially be a million dollar decision when you factor in scholarship and job prospects. Good luck op :)

bellanoche2019

Postby bellanoche2019 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:23 am

Retake. A two point improvement should get you in T14. More than that will open up even more opportunities.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:37 am

Absolutely

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”