LGBT, age 33, 165, 3.9 -- am I URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Andrea2015

New

LGBT, age 33, 165, 3.9 -- am I URM?

Post by Andrea2015 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:39 pm

I am not certain whether my status as a transwoman makes me an underrepresented minority candidate. I am otherwise decidedly not. I guess that really, like everyone, I am just wondering what my chances are at certain schools and wondering whether I need to submit more applications. I have a 165 with a 3.9, a long resume with overseas study and years of journalism experience, and a diversity statement prepared. Does anyone have advice on schools that would likely accept me?

dnptan

Bronze

Re: LGBT, age 33, 165, 3.9 -- am I URM?

Post by dnptan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:43 pm

You're a non-traditional applicant with a great GPA and you bring diversity. I would say, depending on the school, you would get the same treatment as a URM. You probably want to talk about your LGBT status in your PS or a diversitystatement.

That being said, take the time to retake the LSAT. A 170 brings HYS into play. A 173 means you will probably end up there or in CCN full ride.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:45 pm

LGBT will not be treated in the same way that race-based URM status is. So, there's no clear boosts or anything like that out there. However, you are very wise to write the diversity statement because you never know where it might push you over the line. I hate to equate these things, but I'd treat it more like a good soft factor.

So at the end of the day your 3.9 GPA (which is great!) and your 165 LSAT (which you might want to consider retaking) are going to determine your outcomes by and large.

ltbenn

Bronze

Post by ltbenn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Andrea2015 wrote:I am not certain whether my status as a transwoman makes me an underrepresented minority candidate. I am otherwise decidedly not. I guess that really, like everyone, I am just wondering what my chances are at certain schools and wondering whether I need to submit more applications. I have a 165 with a 3.9, a long resume with overseas study and years of journalism experience, and a diversity statement prepared. Does anyone have advice on schools that would likely accept me?
the short answer is no.

URM refers exclusively to specific racial minorities that are under-represented in the legal community (mostly african-americans and non-caucasian hispanics of certain nationalities -- yea, it's pretty absurd...)

that being said - being trans could definitely be a (very minor) soft plus, but more significantly might be great fodder for a personal statement, or at least a diversity statement.

that being said - those are great numbers! Good luck with your cycle!!

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

ltbenn wrote:
Andrea2015 wrote:I am not certain whether my status as a transwoman makes me an underrepresented minority candidate. I am otherwise decidedly not. I guess that really, like everyone, I am just wondering what my chances are at certain schools and wondering whether I need to submit more applications. I have a 165 with a 3.9, a long resume with overseas study and years of journalism experience, and a diversity statement prepared. Does anyone have advice on schools that would likely accept me?
the short answer is no.

URM refers exclusively to specific racial minorities that are under-represented in the legal community (mostly african-americans and non-caucasian hispanics of certain nationalities -- yea, it's pretty absurd...)

that being said - being trans could definitely be a (very minor) soft plus, but more significantly might be great fodder for a personal statement, or at least a diversity statement.

that being said - those are great numbers! Good luck with your cycle!!
+1. I skipped doing a diversity statement since I covered it in my PS, but my PS narrative was basically my coming out as trans story, followed by how garbage medical care forced me to learn how to effectively advocate for myself, and how later leadership positions taught me how to advocate on behalf of entire communities/others. I got great feedback on it from the readers I sent it to before applying. I'm still waiting to hear back from most of the schools I applied to (splitter + late app), but I'm hoping it'll provide at least a minor boost some places.

Andrea2015

New

Post by Andrea2015 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Wow, thank you, everyone! I never really considered HSY or CCN, but I'd really love to go to Penn or Michigan. Maybe I'll spend some more time chipping away at my logic games speed.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Please think hard about it, because if you can get to 168, your world will open!

At 168, you're looking at big time money from Michigan and UVA and you're also looking really good for Chicago (they love high GPAs.). If you get to 170, NYU and Columbia come into play and you will have an outside shot at H and S (pretty far outside, but definitely non-zero).

Andrea2015

New

Post by Andrea2015 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Thank you! I certainly will consider it. I'm so flattered!

LawMom1

New

Post by LawMom1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:57 pm

There is no such boost for a tranny. My boyfriend who was trans had similar numbers and did not get any boost in terms of scholarship and acceptances. Tranny life is hard :(

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”