Newbie to this forum Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PrezRand

Gold

Newbie to this forum

Post by PrezRand » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for about a year and a half, and I decided to join since I'll be graduating college in 2 years. I noticed there isn't really a section here for new people. I'm 19. I'm planning on taking my LSAT around February.

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: Newbie to this forum

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 pm

PrezRand wrote:Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for about a year and a half, and I decided to join since I'll be graduating college in 2 years. I noticed there isn't really a section here for new people. I'm 19. I'm planning on taking my LSAT around February.
Don't worry about the LSAT now, just focus on getting the highest GPA possible. If your graduating in 2 years I wouldn't be concerned with the LSAT now. What kind of URM are you? What do you want from a law degree?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Hey guys. I've been lurking around here for about a year and a half, and I decided to join since I'll be graduating college in 2 years. I noticed there isn't really a section here for new people. I'm 19. I'm planning on taking my LSAT around February.
Don't worry about the LSAT now, just focus on getting the highest GPA possible. If your graduating in 2 years I wouldn't be concerned with the LSAT now. What kind of URM are you? What do you want from a law degree?
I'd prefer worrying about it earlier because I'm not completely sure if I will go to law school. My main plan is to get a masters in Public Policy and another masters in Economics. I'm also taking my GRE around the same time. If my GRE doesn't workout or I realize the econ programs are too rigorous, I will go to law school while also trying to get a MPP. I'm an AA.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:09 pm

PrezRand wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
I'd prefer worrying about it earlier because I'm not completely sure if I will go to law school. My main plan is to get a masters in Public Policy and another masters in Economics. I'm also taking my GRE around the same time. If my GRE doesn't workout or I realize the econ programs are too rigorous, I will go to law school while also trying to get a MPP. I'm an AA.
Word. Just my 2 cents but don't invest into the LSAT until your fairly confident you want to attend law school. The LSAT is going to be your most important factor into getting acceptances in scholarships, with your GPA the next most important. If you do take the LSAT take it very seriously and prepare months in advance, doing stimulated PTs, etc. You can only take it 3 times within a 2 year window too

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Ah ok. Thanks for the advice. I'll consider it.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:54 pm

PrezRand wrote:I'd prefer worrying about it earlier because I'm not completely sure if I will go to law school. My main plan is to get a masters in Public Policy and another masters in Economics. I'm also taking my GRE around the same time. If my GRE doesn't workout or I realize the econ programs are too rigorous, I will go to law school while also trying to get a MPP. I'm an AA.
This is not a reason to take the LSAT. It's a reason not to take the LSAT.

Maybe if you're unsure about being a lawyer taking the LSAT and getting a good score could give you some encouragement to go in that direction, but if you're still an undergrad don't worry about that. You can take the LSAT whenever. Just worry about getting the best grades you can and about your extracurriculars and whatever else.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:15 am

again, seriously guys? :roll:

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:13 am

Kinky John wrote:again, seriously guys? :roll:
?

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:22 pm

You can always rewrite, you cant redo undergrad though. Therefore, get the highest GPA possible.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 pm

WeeBey wrote:You can always rewrite, you cant redo undergrad though. Therefore, get the highest GPA possible.
outed as canadian

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm

chimp wrote:
WeeBey wrote:You can always rewrite, you cant redo undergrad though. Therefore, get the highest GPA possible.
outed as canadian
At least he ain't reference "Sportscentre" or dicuss having milk in a plastic bag

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:12 pm

stasg wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I'd prefer worrying about it earlier because I'm not completely sure if I will go to law school. My main plan is to get a masters in Public Policy and another masters in Economics. I'm also taking my GRE around the same time. If my GRE doesn't workout or I realize the econ programs are too rigorous, I will go to law school while also trying to get a MPP. I'm an AA.
This is not a reason to take the LSAT. It's a reason not to take the LSAT.

Maybe if you're unsure about being a lawyer taking the LSAT and getting a good score could give you some encouragement to go in that direction, but if you're still an undergrad don't worry about that. You can take the LSAT whenever. Just worry about getting the best grades you can and about your extracurriculars and whatever else.
I feel as if the only people telling me to possibly not take the LSAT or just wait on it, are people from TLS. I don't mean to sound rude at all. I just don't see how it benefits me to not plan ahead for the LSAT or even my GRE. I already know I want to get involved in politics and policy. Most people involved have either went to law school or ended up with an MA/PhD in their field. How does it benefit me to wait later on?
Kinky John wrote:again, seriously guys? :roll:
What did I do?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 pm

PrezRand wrote:I feel as if the only people telling me to possibly not take the LSAT or just wait on it, are people from TLS. I don't mean to sound rude at all. I just don't see how it benefits me to not plan ahead for the LSAT or even my GRE. I already know I want to get involved in politics and policy. Most people involved have either went to law school or ended up with an MA/PhD in their field. How does it benefit me to wait later on?
OK, taking the LSAT is not bad. It's like $170 so it's not that expensive, and you might have to study for it a lot if you want a good score. I'll be honest with you, the first time I took the LSAT was in 2010 and I didn't want to go to law school at that point, but I was considering it for the future, and I wanted to see how I'd do.

I also wasn't in undergrad anymore when I took it. You can retake the LSAT but you can't redo your undergrad GPA, so I question somewhat the wisdom of studying for the LSAT while you're still in undergrad.

Now obviously a lot of people go K-JD and get good LSAT scores and turn out fine. So if you really want to take the LSAT, fine, go ahead, no big deal. But getting a few years of work experience before law school is a good thing too.

You do you but since I think there are probably too many law schools and too many people going to law school I'm going to discourage people from jumping in with both feet. I'm biased that way.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 pm

PrezRand wrote:I'm planning on taking my LSAT around February.
What are your practice scores?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
I haven't started studying yet or taken any practice tests. I recently looked at the dates for the LSAT. I was pretty ignorant and thought it would be around the dates for the SAT. I just thought 7 months would give me a decent amount of time to prepare and also let me know if this is something I still want to do.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:21 pm

chimp wrote:
outed as canadian
i dont get it...

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 pm

PrezRand wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
I haven't started studying yet or taken any practice tests. I recently looked at the dates for the LSAT. I was pretty ignorant and thought it would be around the dates for the SAT. I just thought 7 months would give me a decent amount of time to prepare and also let me know if this is something I still want to do.
... what's your GPA right now?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:57 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
... what's your GPA right now?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

WeeBey wrote:
chimp wrote:
outed as canadian
i dont get it...
you take an exam in america, you don't write it

OP comes off rather ridiculous, that's why I'm rolling my eyes:
If my GRE doesn't workout or I realize the econ programs are too RIGOROUS, I will go to law school while also trying to get a MPP

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Explain how I am ridiculous

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm

PrezRand wrote:Explain how I am ridiculous
You want to get a JD/MPP if the master's in econ is too "rigorous", right? And you want to do this so you can be a politician?

Apologies if you're serious - put bluntly, you shouldn't consider law school unless you want to be a lawyer.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Kinky John wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Explain how I am ridiculous
You want to get a JD/MPP if the master's in econ is too "rigorous", right? And you want to do this so you can be a politician?

Apologies if you're serious - put bluntly, you shouldn't consider law school unless you want to be a lawyer.
No. I want to get a JD/MPP if I do not get into a PhD program/Masters program, or of the PhD program is too rigorous. It helps with policy and is basically the only way to work at a think tank. Why is it that people always come to the conclusion that politics is only about being a politician? And then somehow, because I want to get into policy, it's ridiculous for me to want to possibly get a JD/MPP, even though many policy makers don't even want to be lawyers in the first place and want to get straight into politics?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 pm

I always love the part of these threads where the 0L starts arguing about all the non-lawyer things you can do with a JD. Hold on grabbing popcorn.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 pm

PrezRand wrote:Why is it that people always come to the conclusion that politics is only about being a politician?
This is too good to be true :lol:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”